A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 15th February 2014, 02:36 PM

Default Inside Tyre Wear

omething i have noticed on my S8 both inside shoulders & was curious to see what the largest audience on the forum have experienced with the B5s ?

Obv camber can't be changed each side independently on the front and sub-frame was centered last year etc. Perhaps its just a quattro thing, be interested to hear other experiences. Inside rears also..

Perhaps they have some negative camber as standard ?
Old 15th February 2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasiliangringo View Post
omething i have noticed on my S8 both inside shoulders & was curious to see what the largest audience on the forum have experienced with the B5s ?

Obv camber can't be changed each side independently on the front and sub-frame was centered last year etc. Perhaps its just a quattro thing, be interested to hear other experiences. Inside rears also..

Perhaps they have some negative camber as standard ?
I've got this issue after lowering my air suspension via VCDS, but it gets serious when I drive in Dynamic mode all the time as this mean -20mm plus another -15mm (VCDS lowering) = -35mm of the zero value.

I assume all S8s have lower suspension than a standard D2, but I'm sure German fellas took this to consideration while setting up the camber and it's not normal that car would normally shred the tyres from inside as 'standard', or is it??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th February 2014, 03:22 PM

My feeling is it probably the control arm bushings starting to wear allow the weal to lean inwards slightly and over time its having an effect. Don't think i can be arsed to rebush it though but maybe i will if they not too pricey.

Im going to get it aligned again just to be sure something is not amiss on the toe out which could effect fronts as i did think both looked a wee bit toe out from standing at the front of it although thought it was just my eyes but now thinging perhaps i was correct, needs further investigation.

Last edited by brasiliangringo; 15th February 2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 15th February 2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasiliangringo View Post
My feeling is it probably the control arm bushings starting to wear allow the weal to lean inwards slightly and over time its having an effect. Don't think i can be arsed to rebush it though but maybe i will if they not too pricey.

Im going to get it aligned again just to be sure something is not amiss on the toe in/out which could effect fronts as i did think both looked a wee bit toe out from standing at the front of it although thought it was just my eyes but now thinging perhaps i was correct, needs further investigation.
Yeah, but all 4 !?!? Are they wearing evenly??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th February 2014, 03:30 PM

I can say with certainty the front are both wearing on the inside shoulder. Rears are to slightly but i believe rear camber can be adjusted. Alignment aint my thing as dont have a machine to do it.
Old 15th February 2014, 03:36 PM

Fronts will wear more as these cars do have a tendency to scrub quite a bit on tight corners and car park manoeuvring.

I know.. I know..

Old 15th February 2014, 03:39 PM

Yep but its specifically inside shoulder wear on both that wouldn't be accounted for by that.
Old 15th February 2014, 03:47 PM

Could be down to suspension component wear or incorrect alignment.

When doing alignment make sure they do 'constant S' correctly as well. Most garages around here do not even know what it means when you ask them to make sure it's done. Not doing it correctly is a cause of tyre wear on many A4's, A's,A8s and Passat's.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 15th February 2014, 03:53 PM

Constant S ? I'm not familiar, thanks.
Old 15th February 2014, 04:14 PM

I have attached 2 pdf's about constant S.

If you check the picture bolt 2 is adjustment bolt for constant s, garages most of the time fully tighten this bolt assuming that it is securing bolt causing constant s to be out. Normally this bolt is supposed to come out after adjustment and plastic protective cap to go in it's place. I have never seen it in practice and there is nothing wrong with leaving bolt in place as it's covered with thread lock and will not come out, it's just that it should not be fully tightened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	7320  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf constant s.pdf (10.5 KB, 301 views)
File Type: pdf constant s adjustment.pdf (47.5 KB, 375 views)

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure