A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 27th July 2011, 12:15 PM

Default fuel consumption

i dont know if this is normal or if i can improve on it but i use about 10 liters of fuel just driving to work and back everyday which is only about 50km.
i am due for a service but just seems too heavy on fuel.
it also will cut out very soon after the petrol light comes on.
might be normal im not sure just thougth maybe something is blocked in the complex tank or something is not right.
Old 27th July 2011, 05:09 PM

Howzit bru? Thats me talking SA. If the converter i've used is right (yeah i needed one of those) so it's basicly 31 miles and 2.6 galons. So just over 15 MPG so not great but 15 miles each way and cold start up it might not be far away. Hard to tell with short journeys.

Give her a run up to Empangeni and back and see what she'll do on a run
Old 27th July 2011, 07:03 PM

I'd say that's about normal in stop start traffic, but couple of other variables like driving style, temperatures for cold start, load from accessories etc.....

If I fill mine up with less than 100 miles range showing on the tank it'll only take about 70 litres - if I wait till the light comes on it's nearer 80, but still nowhere near the 90 litre capacity.
Old 28th July 2011, 08:48 AM

i have gone to empangeni few times and get very good consumption.
it could be due to temps between 9 c and 13 c in mornings and the 25km trip to work which is causing bad consumption.will see after the service if it comes right.was hoping there was a issue with something that i could fix to get a good fuels consumption.

is everyones fuel gauge inaccurate when it calculates the milaege that can still be covered or is it just mine because the polo i have seems to be very accurate yet the a8 will tell me i can do 40kms but it will cut out down the road.
Old 28th July 2011, 09:38 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Mine is the other way. When it says I have no fuel, I can still keep going. I think I've heard similar from other '8 drivers
Old 28th July 2011, 04:15 PM

When mine reaches '0' on the trip computer, I have two gallons left in the tank. Which suits me fine as I know I have a margin of error and I'll avoid thrashing the engine when there is a possibility of the fuel supply failing, leaning off the mixture and trashing a piston.
Old 28th July 2011, 04:36 PM

Fuel light should come on when there is 12-12.5l of fuel left. I can do 30 miles when it shows 0 and still not run out. There is adaption available for instrument cluster for when it comes on as it uses signal from the same fuel level sensor that supplies gauge reading, well at least on PF cars and also adaption for fuel gauge. Some newer Audi' use separate sensor for warning light.

It can also be that fuel pump is not seated properly or fuel level sender sending wrong signal or it could be caught in wires or hoses in tank and never drop below certain level. Have seen it happen couple of times after some cowboys change fuel pump or level sender.

As for the fuel consumption 10l for 50 km is a bit high as it works out 20l/100km, I am doing around 18l/100km on short runs but a lot depends on driving style, conditions, fuel quality etc. Don't forget that low tyre size and pressure or binding brakes, open windows will also have effect on fuel consumption.
Old 28th July 2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Don't forget that low tyre size and pressure or binding brakes, open windows will also have effect on fuel consumption.
Also if you carry small items on your roof rack it will!!!

Is this what they mean by a "Fully Loaded A8"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 loaded.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	2184  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 29th July 2011, 06:39 AM

lol mine never came with a boat attached to the roof

it is winter now so i drive with windows closed.but the car doesnt get completely warm by time i get to work and i have been driving at bout 110km/h because of the bad weather.
looks like its going to snow inland this weekend so might take a drive to mess around in the snow will see how it does
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:18 PM

I only manage around 16mpg on my daily commute, 15 miles each way of stop start, on a run usually between 22 - 25, think thats about right to be honest, official figures suggest about 12 around town IIRC

cheers

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey