A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 20th February 2013, 04:39 PM

Default W12 Wheel/Tyre question?

Hi there...long time since I've been here and strangely enough I believe the last post nearly a year ago might have been about wheels & tyres!

I have a 2005 W12 that came with the standard Audi 8.5Jx19" ET45 12-spoke rims shod with Pirelli P-Zero 255/40 ZR19 100Y tyres.

The tyres weren't great and only two of the rims had been refurbed so I whipped the 8.5Jx20" ET45 9-spoke wheels from my 2001 S8 that had a nearly new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 255/35 ZR20 97Y

Well I've nearly worn those out now and after hitting one of those nasty potholes that appear after a bout of cold weather split a n/s/f tyre

So the time has come to get the original 19's refurbed and back on in the interests of originality and maybe a slightly softer ride.

What I wanted to know was;

1. The 2005 W12 19" 12-spoke alloys and 255/40x19 100Y Pirelli P-Zero were a factory fit combo on that model year?

2. I have always put Michelin Pilot Sport tyres on my 8's but am thinking of going for the Pirelli this time round. How might the P-Zero compare to the Michelin? I'm guessing grip will be similar and not too bothered about wear but very interested in a quiet & comfortable tyre if that makes sense!

3. Two of the original 19" rims were refurbed by Spit & Polish in Kent but I used Pristine in Milton Keynes to do the 20" refurb some years ago. S&P are slightly cheaper (£80 vs £84 sent in with tyres on) but Pristine can also supply me with new tyres where S&P can't. Figured they might take more care fitting them if they just refurbed the wheel... Who do you guys use for alloy refurb?

I have been quoted £200-220 for P-Zero & £240-250 for Pilot Sport.

I am looking to sort this ASAP and all but ready to do the deed with Pristine again but thought I would open it up and see what you guys think?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 20th February 2013, 08:48 PM

Lepsons are very good for Ally Wheel re-furbs and are based in Kent and also Swindon http://www.lepsons.com/
or take a look at Oli's thread HERE for another suggestion as the people he used were great too

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs