A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 10th April 2013, 10:28 AM

You can just copy the VM with ETKA elsewhere if you have space.. Use the Files & Settings wizard as it should be safe.

I know.. I know..

Old 10th April 2013, 12:00 PM

I'm seriously contemplating buying a new hdd as the current one is 1TB and is about 2/3 full. At least then I wouldn't need to reformat it till I'm sure I've got everything I need off it, then I can use it for internal backup or storage.

Quite tempted by a small 60GB SSD for the OS and other software I use regularly - could easily mirror it to another HDD in case it fails. Checked and on my laptop Windows takes about 20GB plus about 12GB for the contents of both program files folders.....

Need to speak to the bank manager before I do anything else though

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 10th April 2013, 12:49 PM

Another solution is to do in place Windows upgrade. You will need retail Windows installation disc with the same or newer Windows version.

Before that I would recommend to run full antivirus scan with several antivirus programs from uncompromised up to date installation either by transferring hdd to another computer or by installing a fresh copy of Windows on spare hdd with compromised hdd disconnected while installing window, antivirus and bringing it up to date.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th April 2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Its been cleaned of the infection
How?
At the very least you need to take the hard disk out and scan it while slaved to a known clean system, using every deep anti-malware tool you can lay your hands on.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th April 2013, 04:10 PM

Adrian, before you try anything else, have a look at Kaspersky Rescue usb, best Google it, I'm not at home and I have it on a stick at homeand on my home PC, basically its a very deep cleaner which you download onto a USB stick and then boot your PC from that and it cleans up everything, it is wonderful and I have used it a number of times when nothing else would work.

http://support.kaspersky.com/8092

cheers

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Last edited by briang9; 10th April 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 04:38 PM

It's had RKill run on it which finds rootkits etc and shuts the processes down when running in Safe mode. It's then had full scans with Malwarebytes run through it a couple of times, AVG antivirus too, then Windows System File checker (system32\services.exe was pulled up as infected but couldn't be repaired by Malwarebytes or AVG) which replaced that file.

Wasn't impressed by AVG so removed that and replaced by Avast which found a load of historic Java vulnerabilities (probably ones long since patched) but otherwise clean - that's doing full system scans and a DOS based boot scan as well.

The issue I have now is that the virus has disabled and/or deleted various system processes including Background Intelligent Transfer Service which means windows update refuses to run.

RKill originally pulled up these disabled services:

BFE [Missing Service]
* BITS [Missing Service]
* iphlpsvc [Missing Service]
* MpsSvc [Missing Service]
* WinDefend [Missing Service]
* wscsvc [Missing Service]
* wuauserv [Missing Service]

Haven't run it since realising what this means but I'm mid-repair with someone on Malwarebytes forum. I'm not using it now anyway - it's not connected to the internet either

ETA - it will get rebuilt in any case so my intention is to get it as robust as I can so I minimise the risk of transferring dodgy files to a clean install. Will disconnect the HDD when I do the clean install on another HDD, whether I go SSD or not

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC

Last edited by Adrian E; 10th April 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10th April 2013, 10:04 PM

Mac ?
Old 11th April 2013, 06:44 AM

99% of these fake antivirus solutions are easily repaired. I have done loads for staff members at work and have never failed to completely remove one. They are actually very simple to remove, you just need to know where to look and have the right tools.

I do IT support for a large multinational company, and very rarely have I found anything I have been unable to completely remove.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 11th April 2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Mac ?
Perhaps if the money tree in my back garden ever sprouted I'd be in a position to consider it - this PC was bought new in 2010 for £700 which wouldn't even buy you half a Mac worth bothering with, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
99% of these fake antivirus solutions are easily repaired. I have done loads for staff members at work and have never failed to completely remove one. They are actually very simple to remove, you just need to know where to look and have the right tools.

I do IT support for a large multinational company, and very rarely have I found anything I have been unable to completely remove.
This one's pretty nasty and has only been doing the rounds since last month. It's a generic issue with Trojans that you can't be entirely sure the cleaned PC hasn't been left with a bit of code somewhere that allows it to be accessed at a later date, or a keylogger accessed. It's changed enough system files to worry about the ones it's not picking up....

Going to try and ID a decent SSD today and get that ordered - probably a 2TB HDD as well for storage. The WD Green drive in it isn't great - takes an age to fire up due to the energy saving features - so looking at a Black replacement which has longer warranty (5 years)

What's recommendation for a suite of security stuff (preferably free but don't mind paying a bit if it's worth it) for a PC? I've always used AVG/Malwarebytes/CCleaner to keep it clutter and virus free. Have now swapped to Avast as it gets a better write up than AVG but I'm concious that's only covering the basics. Still using Windows firewall and Defender at the moment.

I don't do p-2-p filesharing so not too worried about that side of things

Old 11th April 2013, 08:17 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).