A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 27th August 2009, 09:04 AM

Hi Guys,

Fuel pump out. Housing split reasonably easy if a little confusing quite which clip undoes. Seeing it does come apart and is designed to, i find it odd Audi doesn't sell the pump.

Part code 4D0906091C on it

Net search brings up a few places. inc world parts. However reading

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2748849

Makes things more confusing.

However

http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/se...2001Z&cmdGo=Go

Is the recomended one from that page. About £150 delivered.

I find it odd that there would be two with the same part code. But i'd prefare not to have to return it.

I'm also a tad nervous as my 2000 S8 isn't mentioned, nor the AVP engine code....Argghh

Lee
Old 27th August 2009, 09:38 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

That code throws up this page on worldcarparts.

If you check the oem codes:
PFP405052002001Z - on ignition car parts
and
VDO 405-052-002-001Z - on world car parts

I would say they are the same component.

It looks like the answer to a maidens prayer with regard to fuel pump issues.

If you can Lee, a how-to on what you do to change the pump would be very very useful.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 27th August 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:49 AM

Hi Conan,

Read the above linky....The audiworld one....Seems to think the car parts one although having the same code is not correct !

Oh and i've taken it into a small LPG place in huntingdon who is doing the work....The Large LPG tank was in the way which was why Audi huntingdon didn't want to touch it, not that they mentioned this when i booked it into them with a fuel fault !!!

I may drive down to Essex to ignition parts with the old one and pick on up or just gamble it over the net.

cya,
Lee
Old 27th August 2009, 11:32 AM

I'm told by Audi Technical that the pump is not available separate due to the new one having a modified delivery unit/level sendor as well as different pump. This apparently cures some issues with cracking and drawing in air to the fuel system that the old one can be prone to. Saying that, the last couple I've seen had old ones and no cracks. I did however on Tonupkids, have to replace a couple of seals on the pick for the pump. This is about 4-5inches from the bottom of the tank. It draws from a network of pipes and small filters that allow fuel from both sides of the tank to be drawn on. If this seal goes then air is sucked in and will cause loss of power at high load. I would assume area like this are remedied on the new units.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:59 AM

Hi There,

So your saying that its Audis sneaky way of getting round a product fault and getting the customer to pay for thier mistake....Nice !

To be honest i run on LPG 95% of the time, lack of power at full load....You mean i'll only get 150 not 155mph ???

cya,
Lee
Old 27th August 2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Hi There,

So your saying that its Audis sneaky way of getting round a product fault and getting the customer to pay for thier mistake....Nice !

To be honest i run on LPG 95% of the time, lack of power at full load....You mean i'll only get 150 not 155mph ???

cya,
Lee
That's about the size of it, however, it's mistake that is only showing itself after 10 years of use I doubt you could blame Audi for not wanting to cover the cost - atleast they have taken the time to redesign it so if you do have the problem it's unlikely to re occur in another 10 years!

If you're on LPG your fuel pump has an easy life, if the car works I wouldn't worry!!
Old 27th August 2009, 01:04 PM

Hi There,

I've gone for one of the ignition car parts ones....Its a siemens and was next day delivery before 2pm for £145 delivered. Audi UK doesn't have one and was quoting 5 days from Germany.

The old one lasted 9 years and would have probably done better if i hadn't run out of petrol due to issues with battery/fuel guage and if i'd have though more about the non starting issue when it occured. I think i effectivly ran it dry and burnt it out.

cya,
Lee
Old 28th August 2009, 12:24 PM

Hi There,

The Ignition guys seem to be good. The Part apears identical apart from the audi markings. Has VDO at the bottom. One white hole at the top, a large and small black hole at the bottom and +ve / -ve screw terminals.

Also turned up next day before two as promised on the shipping options. Godd service, though i did call them to check stock before placing the web order ;-)

Lets hope my mechanic can get it it and fitted this afternoon !!!

cya,
Lee
Old 28th August 2009, 05:15 PM

Hiya,

Just got the beast back. £240 in labour to pull out the LPG tank and frame, remove housing, strip pump, fit new pump, fit housing, replace frame and tank. Think i've done rather well there and may have made a mechanic friend.

Tested with low fuel so i doubt it will get the scavaging issue.

Right more next week, theres a festival to go to and i have a nice drive again !

cya,
Lee
Old 28th August 2009, 07:30 PM

nice one Lee well done mate you deserve that drive now for all the research work etc

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs