A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 13th June 2017, 07:47 PM

Default Well thats interesting

Went to get MOT on the bike and Car today and although the bike passed with flying colours I had a fail with the 8

I never had any reason to suspect the tyres were dodgy as I can see the outside and middles were fine with about 3mm of tread, but found this on front passenger side.

Its like that in about 6-7 different parts of the tyre around the circumference.

Won't be replacing them with the same tyre.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2017-06-13_19-48-41.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	16314  

Old 13th June 2017, 08:28 PM

Yowser! At least it was spotted before something really catastrophic happened. Good opportunity to put on some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's.

2008 Audi S8
Old 13th June 2017, 08:49 PM

So what tyres were they, how long were they on the car and do you know the manufacturing date? Some of the rubber in the channels looks like it might suffering from aging/cracking.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:03 PM

They were Pilot sports, They have been on the car for 2 years IIRC but as I run winter tyres I would guess they only have done 7-9k miles.

Don't know the manufacturing date but I'll look tomorrow, gonna get a set of good year F1's to replace them and get wheels refurbed at same time

Old 13th June 2017, 09:30 PM

Michelin. Shocking. I was unimpressed by the Super Sports, fairly noisy and wore out very fast
Old 13th June 2017, 09:42 PM

That happened on one of the Super Sports on my D2 - Michelin replaced with a pair of 4S, but mine still had 5mm of tread after 14k miles over most of the width

I provided a LOT of detailed evidence when I contacted them, including a 4 wheel alignment printout.

TBH 14k is pretty good life anyway - the previous PS2s did about 16k and were worn out, but still not to the minimum.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 13th June 2017, 10:10 PM

Unhappy

Well, well, well.....EXACTLY the same thing happened to mine. SuperSports now replaced with Pilot Sport 4s about 4 months ago. Mine have always worn in the inside edge, regardless of tire make. Wouldn't blame Michelin. I put it down to worn upper and lower arms etc, now fully replaced. Interesting to see what my tires do over the next 10k miles.

Z

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 14th June 2017, 07:28 PM

Had the wheels off today, I couldn't find a date on them.

So took them to my tyre place and he say he's seeing it more and more these days, suspects its to do with the chemistry of tyres these days and partially down to the way I park.

Swinging into my drive is always hard lock and would load that area of the tyre considerably and it might go some way to explain the tearing.

I splashed the cash for a full set of of F1's and dropped the bare rims off at the powder-coating place, changed the rear brake pads, cleared all four sunroof drains and retested the car so fairly productive if somewhat expensive day.

Old 14th June 2017, 09:30 PM

Wow, that is a busy day!

I have the F1s on my car at the moment and they've really impressed me. The older versions were my tyre of choice for going quickly. Does that mean you went for the 275 width?

I don't think I could resist the Michelin PS4S next time around, although it would mean going to the 265 width. That has the advantage of soothing my OCD a little by sticking to the factory spec, but I think the little extra rubber on the profile helps (at least in my head).

2008 Audi S8
Old 14th June 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
I have the F1s on my car at the moment and they've really impressed me.....
Why ? I'm due a set soon and have been thinking about trying something else after the P Zeros.