A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Common Faults

D4 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 16th May 2016, 02:20 PM

Default Flat Battery - Inoperative Bootlid

Left the car parked up after work at 5am on Sunday morning. Got back to it this morning at 8am and the battery was as flat as a pancake. It seems I must have knocked the lights from auto to sidelights. This left the sidelights on for 27 hours resulting in the flat.

Managed to open the driver's door with the key and also the boot with the key to get my li-ion battery starter. It started the car without a problem however once started, I couldn't get the boot to latch or the power boot to operate at all.

I had to drive to work with the boot unlatched and it was flapping around. I think the sheer weight of the lid kept it from fully opening. I left it in the car park for half an hour and then made arrangements to go to a local garage for them to have a look at it. Sod's law, when I pulled up at the garage, the boot decided to lock itself and function perfectly normal.

Having had a quick read around on the internet, it seems that the problem might have been that either a latch or micro switch went out of sync when the battery died. It may have needed re coding in with VCDS but I never got to that stage. Also, it may not have helped that I needed to open the boot with the key whilst the power was down to get the battery jump starter.
Old 16th May 2016, 02:31 PM

they can be a bit tempremental, All sorts upsets it, but it will probably be ok again now.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 16th May 2016, 02:34 PM

Finger's crossed all will be fine.

Nice little hareem you've got going on now...
Old 16th May 2016, 02:46 PM

ive had the same sort of problem with mine, it refused to go down and lock automatically for months, had to slam it to work, then just started working again

dont know how many more girls i can get on, maybe one more
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom