A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 8th April 2016, 05:06 PM

Sounds like a plan

Old 6th September 2016, 06:12 AM

Based on an issue I'm having, I was going to suggest the alternator.
My battery goes flat in 3-4 days regardless of how much it's driven (it's my daily). Alternator charges at 13.2 or 13.4 volts. Don't know what amperage it produces, but as it should be charging around 14.4V and long drives don't significantly charge the battery, I'm confident the alternator is stuffed.
There's also anecdotal evidence that a collapsed voltage regulator circuit can actually act as a power drain.

The battery was renewed when the voltage drain was first detected, so I know that's not the issue and the old battery is a good spare now!

I will also check the condition of the chassis stud too, but we don't get salted roads down here!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 6th September 2016, 12:32 PM

Sounds like a regulator failure to me. Get the bearings done while you are that far in

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 6th September 2016, 04:23 PM

I have been trying to stop a parasitic drain for some while , as previously reported on another thread here

not being able to effect a cure my current solution [ as the car can stay unused for a couple of weeks after which it won't start ] is to disconnect the earth cable when I put the car in the barn ; after a day the voltage drops to 12.60 and there it stays , so nothing wrong with the battery

the annoying thing is I know where the drain is , just can't find a solution !

if I remove the fuse in the boot which feeds the radio, electric aerial and CD stack the drain drops from 90 milliamp to 25 milliamp , the latter being quite acceptable , the former not

so I disconnected , in turn , each of the above items with the fuse in place , only to find that the drain stays at 90 !

is there anything else on that fuse ?

m'aidez , m'aidez
Old 7th September 2016, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
Sounds like a regulator failure to me. Get the bearings done while you are that far in
I plan to - already bought a genuine voltage regulator and slip ring. Got a good auto elec nearby who'll have bearings in stock. Provided the windings are in good condition she'll be like a new one!
Just waiting for nice weather to affect removal (just coming out of winter here!).

As for other potential failures - the factory mobile phone (where fitted) has been touted as another possible drain device. I've pulled the fuse on mine permanently as 2g is being turned off here in November anyway, so it'll be pretty much useless.
May remove the phone from the arm rest one of these days too!

Marty

Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 7th September 2016, 09:09 AM

The phone is definitely a drain if you leave the handset installed, otherwise I think probably not.
I accidentally left mine in situ once while away on holiday for 2 weeks, to return to a fully-charged handset and car with a flat battery!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th September 2016, 09:22 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The phone is definitely a drain if you leave the handset installed, otherwise I think probably not.
I accidentally left mine in situ once while away on holiday for 2 weeks, to return to a fully-charged handset and car with a flat battery!
I've never had a problem with the phone. The car is left for a couple of weeks every year while we're on holiday, but it starts fine on my return.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 7th September 2016, 10:08 AM

I was talking about the factory car phone - no battery...
It is installed on the aux circuit and should time out after x time.
But it can be activated by pressing the power button as I understand it and mine doesn't seem to like not having a sim card in it.
Either way I don't think it caused me any major parasitic drain issues, but as I'll never use it it's pointless giving it any power...

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4