A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 30th March 2017, 10:52 AM

Default weird USB problem

copied from D2 forum where I accidentally posted originally

Hi guys. My D3 is fitted with a dension AMI with USB, AUX and i-pod connectors. Initially I had a small 2 or 3 GB USB stick with a few albums on which worked away fine. Happy that it was all working well I bought a new 16GB one and put on a similar amount of music as I wasnt sure what size the MMI would accept so didnt want to waste a couple of hours choosing music to put on for it not to work. Again, this worked fine for a few days until i got an error message on the MMI.

Now I can't rememebr what the error message actually said annoyingly but the music stopped playing anyway. I had just arrived back home by this point so i just took the USB stick out and went inside.

Assuming that the error was with the stick, I formatted it and then filled it up with 7 or 8 GB of music.

When I put this stick in, I either get a "loading CD" message that doesnt go away or more usually, I just get the list of albums that was on the first stick. It was even playing albums that were on the first stick but not on the second so it had clearly stored them somewhere.

I tried reseting the MMI by pressing the TEL, main dial and top right soft key simultaneously. Now I get the albums that were initially on the second stick but nothing else. This is regardless of whether the stick is actually inserted or not.

I'm at a loss as to what could be the problem. I dont yet have VCDS and would struggle to work it anyway TBH.

I have since bought an AUX cable and can get music off my phone but obviousy I cant get any of the menus on the MMI screen and can't choose/change music except by doing it on the phone and risking 3 points and £100 fine.

If anyone can help I'd be eternally grateful, I have some really great tunes that the Bose stereo would really do justice to and I'm getting sick of the same four albums over and over again!

gill
Old 30th March 2017, 05:13 PM

This might not help beause I have no experience with the Dension kit.
I found that USB sticks and USB connected hard drives in the OEM AMI had to be formatted in FAT32.
Good luck with this one.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 30th March 2017, 06:42 PM

Yes, format as fat32 and not the windows default of NTFS which neither the Dension or Audi AMI can read.

Also where did you buy the stick, there are a lot of fake ones the appear in windows as their stated size and seem to work until you try and read the data. In reality however most fakes are only 1 or 2GB at best
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 30th March 2017, 08:55 PM

thanks for the replies guys. AFAIK the stick is configured in fat32, although I'm a mechanical engineer and electronics scrae me haha. I don't think its anything to do with file format though as both sticks worked initially. Ig is only after the mysterious error message that thye stopped working.

It was the stuff that was on the original stick that it stored somewhere and kept playing regardless of what was plugged in until i did the MMI reset but after I did the reset it was the stuff that was on the second stick before the error message that it was playing (again, regardless of whether the stick was actually inserted or not).

Thinking out loud... my navigation says that it is ot installed every couple of weeks. If I pull the plugs out of the back of the DVD player wait a few seconds then reconnect them, the nav works again for another week or two. Where about is the stereo? perhaps pulling the plug would reset the whole thing and make it work again? I'm asuming its one of the boxes below the nav DVD player.

by the way mannyo, those wheel look amazing on your car. I just have the pov spec 18"s on mine. I seem to have a curious mix of options, loads of high spec items but the original buyer seems to have skimped on others, like the wheels.