A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 7th May 2017, 05:47 PM

Default Suspension Stuck on Lift

Hello Guys,

maybe you can give me a little hint where could be an issue

Last Friday, when I was switching from comfort to Lift, front Axle get stuck
(car was not used for two months) and I see VCDS error:

01400 - Suspension Level Control
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:

compressor looks fine to me , I did test and filled the reserve tank up to 14 bars - I can also release the pressure from it.

If I pump the rear axle up to 6.5 bar (I see that car it's leveling) I can also lower the rear suspension through VCDS.

Unfortunately with Front there is something wrong.
Before pumping up, there were 2 Bars, after bleeding the value has changed to 0.98, but no difference in heigh.

Later I fill it up to 9.5, and front changed height from 57mm to 95mm and stuck there!

Once again releasing air (bleeding in vcds) has no effect - I see that it's releasing air from 9.77 to 0.98 very quickly aprox. in 1 second- for comparision, rear axle take at least 10 seconds, and I can see values slowly droping in steps, from 6.5, 6.18, 5.92 and so on...

Last edited by migelus; 7th May 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 8th May 2017, 12:09 PM

Hello, I had a similar issue on a VW Touareg a while ago and turned out to be seized pressure valves that bolt to the struts. On mine they were letting air go in but would not let air out so suspension would stay high at the front. Also when doing bleeding as you have they would drain almost instantly as yours are due to only draining the lines to the struts. Might not be your problem but worth a look.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:00 PM

I suspect the valves may be stuck shut but that may be because you over pressurised the struts.

If I remember correctly the front struts are 4.5 bar max

You may need to release the pressure manually from the struts.

Old 8th May 2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
I suspect the valves may be stuck shut but that may be because you over pressurised the struts.

If I remember correctly the front struts are 4.5 bar max

You may need to release the pressure manually from the struts.
Thanks a lot Guys!

seems it could be this - I was able to release pressure manually
I will have to adapt the suspenion, and will post the results
...the only weird thing though, is that two valves were replaced 2 months ago...
Old 9th May 2017, 08:38 PM

small update,

I have unscrew valve completely, after this procedure, finally I heard desired psttt sound of released air

I was able to LIFT

and later switch to comfort

A believe I still have to make adaptation, cause I see difference in height on right and left side...
Old 12th May 2017, 11:23 AM

quick update

It looks I can have faulty VCDS...

When i enter adaptation, 31564 like in this procedure
RossTech

I get:

I tried also in coding II but effect is the same... New interface will arrive next week, and we will see

PS: BTW, I have air suspension - sport - or at least MMI thinks I have, but the procedure, codes, should be the same for this option?
Old 12th May 2017, 12:15 PM

You can normally only begin adaptation if your suspension is within limits, so if it is not sitting at the correct level you should try to get it to do so before adaptation is tried, I found this out after trying myself lol basically fix issues then adapt

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 20th May 2017, 06:50 AM

Hi,

I'm using mac, so I have to run this on virtual machine - it looks, that when I switched from windows 7 to windows xp, magically I can do an adaptation

anyway I'm still fighting with my suspension, for few hours it worked - I could lift, and lower suspension, but even I did calibrate this on super leveled place, left side (both) were 20mm higher than right side... now once again my left front wheel is stucked, so I will try to switch valves from left side to right and if this is it, in theory right front wheel should be stuck and maybe I will find a root cause

btw If I have
2MA E DAE 4-corner air suspension with electronic shock absorption control, sports version in section coding, can I have 0015510 or because of sport suspension i should have 0011110?

cheers!
Old 27th May 2017, 01:14 PM

Hello Guys!

finally I have changed left valve - I did 200 miles, and it looks, that all works fine
I still need to make another adaptation, as I have slight differences between left and right side (5-10mm)

Anyway, some time ago I bought on Aliexpress great universal tool, that have turned out can be used here -(universal wrench)

PS:if somebody in the future will have to change this valve, please remember to use vcds to pump some air...

Once again guys, thanks for all hints!

http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/q7_...nd_installing/

Old 27th May 2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
You can normally only begin adaptation if your suspension is within limits, so if it is not sitting at the correct level you should try to get it to do so before adaptation is tried, I found this out after trying myself lol basically fix issues then adapt
Yeap, you were right, with win xp it was only coincidence, later as you said, my suspension was out of limits, and even xp was throwing this error :/