A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 8th April 2015, 09:23 AM

Default D2 S8 tyre recommendations

I'm sure it's one of the most frequently asked questions on any car forum, but I would like some tyre recommendations.

I removed my front wheel at the weekend to do some brake work and when I did so, I saw two huge nails embedded in the tyre and a light crack around the entire tread in line with the nails. I *ahem* "stretched the car's legs" the day before as well so count myself lucky. Decided to bite the bullet and get 4 new tyres as the rears are also pretty low, close to the tread indicator.

I'd like some Uniroyal Rainsport 3 but wasn't sure if these would be too stiff. I've had them a couple of times on smaller cars I've owned and they were great, especially in the wet but not sure how they would perform on a big saloon... Anybody have any recommendations?

Want to avoid Pirelli P-Zeros if I can, I find them too soft after having them on my D3.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 8th April 2015, 09:25 AM

Michelin Pilot Super Sports if on 20's.

What size wheels? I have two nearly-new Bridgestones in the for-sale section. 245/45R18.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th April 2015, 09:29 AM

Ah, I have the 18" 6-spoke wheels

Size 245/45 18"
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 8th April 2015, 09:29 AM

These will fit then, if you're interested: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9757
Haven't taken photos yet, but will do now the weather is better.

Edit: Photos added to for sale thread.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th April 2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 8th April 2015, 11:57 AM

I'm getting 4 Goodyear efficientgrips 245/45/18 Y 100XL A0 fitted tomorrow by kwikfit mobile for £527.50 (cheapest mobile deal I could find).

I went for a lower dB (68) rather than outright performance and a higher dB (70) which the Goodyear Assymetric2 offers.

Maybe I'm getting a bit old?
Old 8th April 2015, 12:08 PM

Can't give any recommendations from experience, but will be replacing the M3 tyres soon with Rainsport3, have read some excellent reviews and they're great value for money compared to Michelin PS
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 8th April 2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornershop View Post
I'm getting 4 Goodyear efficientgrips
That's what I have on my Focus, though a smaller and cheaper size vs an A8.
Old 8th April 2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
That's what I have on my Focus, though a smaller and cheaper size vs an A8.
I can imagine! For what it's worth, these are A0 spec (Audi approved) so are used on new cars I assume from the factory.

That probably adds £20 per corner to the price if Porsche spec tyres are anything to go by!
Old 21st June 2015, 10:37 AM

To add to this, just had 4 Goodyear Eagle F1s fitted for £476 (fitted and balanced). Thought a very good price indeed.

Some pics and thread here...

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...5666#post95666