A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 8th September 2015, 07:27 PM

Default 3.0TDi hunting at low speeds

Hi guys

One day I'll put a post on this forum without asking for help!

The car is a 3.0TDI on a 05 plate with 48k miles on. Driving on the motorway it's fine, hard acceleration appears to be fine, but just cruising along at 30 the box feels like it's hunting between 3rd and 4th. Does this sound like an issue with the box or just a characteristic of the box? It's quite annoying that it won't just cruise along without the engine note constantly going up and down!

Cheers
Old 8th September 2015, 08:16 PM

Mine is a 06 plate with 170k.
Does exactly the same thing.

I've had the box serviced and full service history for the engine.

No idea what it is.
I'm siding with the box.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD3 View Post
Mine is a 06 plate with 170k.
Does exactly the same thing.

I've had the box serviced and full service history for the engine.

No idea what it is.
I'm siding with the box.
Sounds good. Going to try mapping it, see if the extra poke low down will stop it hunting if other peoples boxes are the same. Will let you know!
Old 8th September 2015, 08:29 PM

I dont think its normal.

A fix would be good.
It ****es me off
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:37 PM

Unfortunately it's not normal, guessing nothing is showing up on VCDS?

I would of suggested a service but if Scott hasn't had much luck them maybe it's a sensor in the box that's playing up, is it getting the correct speed signal? Maybe try logging some data from the box see if anything unusual crops up.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:46 PM

No errors for me.

Not sure what to log from the box but a good idea.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:52 PM

Still waiting for VCDS to arrive but I do have access to Delphi Diagnostics which are pretty good. I'll have a play with it tomorrow, see what I can dig out.
Old 8th September 2015, 11:57 PM

Just for interest.
Mine is a 2004 3.0 D3 TDI.
I had it remapped, then a while later the ECU died with me stuck at the roadside. Replaced the ECU with a used one from Germany, my Indie fitted and then remapped it for free. Very good result. Now some eight? months later and still good.
I have never had transmission hunting at any speed (lots of 30mph) with either of the ECUs, before or after mapping.
OK mapping gave me much more oomph and better fuel consumption. Well worth doing.
My Indie tells me that the ECU is a common one used in plenty other marques in particular Range Rovers, just a different map, so should be cheapish to replace. As long as you know what map to programme in

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 9th September 2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Just for interest.
Mine is a 2004 3.0 D3 TDI.
I had it remapped, then a while later the ECU died with me stuck at the roadside. Replaced the ECU with a used one from Germany, my Indie fitted and then remapped it for free. Very good result. Now some eight? months later and still good.
I have never had transmission hunting at any speed (lots of 30mph) with either of the ECUs, before or after mapping.
OK mapping gave me much more oomph and better fuel consumption. Well worth doing.
My Indie tells me that the ECU is a common one used in plenty other marques in particular Range Rovers, just a different map, so should be cheapish to replace. As long as you know what map to programme in
Your indie is correct, it's a common ECU and the Bosch EDC16 series are very hard to kill when remapping (unless they've not been sealed properly after they've been opened and you get water inside them). Not like the Delphi ones that appear to pack up for a laugh when writing maps to them! I do remapping for a living but I'll say no more, don't want a telling off for advertising or anything!

I'll put Delphi on it today and see if anything looks out of the ordinary. I wonder if it's a software update issue and cars that have either had the box software updated or left the factory with it aren't effected?
Old 9th September 2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm147 View Post
Your indie is correct, it's a common ECU and the Bosch EDC16 series are very hard to kill when remapping (unless they've not been sealed properly after they've been opened and you get water inside them). Not like the Delphi ones that appear to pack up for a laugh when writing maps to them! I do remapping for a living but I'll say no more, don't want a telling off for advertising or anything!
You should be alright as long as you're not stepping of the toes of the sponsors, I don't think there will be any telling offs for advertising a service massively discounted to forum members If you were to advertise "Breaking A8 all parts available" it might get pulled.

Bright yellow bus o love.