A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 7th September 2016, 12:42 PM

Default Straining at the leash

Since owning the S8 I've noticed that when the gearbox is in Drive and I'm waiting at the traffic lights the car is VERY keen to push forward when I'm on the brakes. Feels like its straining and the torque is pushing hard to break traction. I have a Range Rover Sport with an auto box and it's nowhere near as keen.

I know I should be in Park but does anyone else experience this?

Old 7th September 2016, 12:48 PM

Both mine are/were like that. They'll go off at a fair lick, especially when cold, with no throttle input.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th September 2016, 01:26 PM

OK thanks. Did you/do you also get a slight bump/creak when finally halting after a slow brake into traffic or a junction for example? When I slow down all is fine, then when I finally stop, I get a strange short creak when I finally stop.

Old 7th September 2016, 01:30 PM

They all seem to do it. D3 does it as well to start with when it's cold.

And the jolt just before you come to a halt is probably the box shifting into 1st ready to set off again. The D3 does that as well, it's very noticeable.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 7th September 2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
They all seem to do it. D3 does it as well to start with when it's cold.
Thank f**k for that, I was having a panic the other day thinking that my gearbox was on its way out, especially after reading Tony's unfortunate turn of events. Mine seems fine except when I start from cold and put her in reverse, she does that, any other time or when warm she is as good as gold

phew
Old 7th September 2016, 02:23 PM

Yep mines the same, as Ollie mentioned the box changes to first noticeabley if you are feathering the brake to a stop, it then requires further pressure to stop it crawling away.

The straining is due to the software, most ZF boxes declutch when sitting with brake pedal applied but the A8/S8 don't as mentioned somewhere in tech literature.

Old 7th September 2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1781cc View Post
Mine seems fine except when I start from cold and put her in reverse, she does that, any other time or when warm she is as good as gold.
Yeah, that's when mine is the most jerky. Lift my foot off the brake slightly and it catapults backwards! From cold, I tend to leave it running for a minute or two before reversing off my drive or setting off. Once the exhaust note has settled down and my neighbour has stopped tutting that's usually my cue to set off.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 7th September 2016, 03:23 PM

ha ha, I do exactly the same thing... must be the S8 passage
Old 7th September 2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
And the jolt just before you come to a halt is probably the box shifting into 1st ready to set off again. The D3 does that as well, it's very noticeable.
You want a noticeable change into first when slowing? Try taking mine for a spin!

2008 Audi S8
Old 7th September 2016, 06:42 PM

I'll mention it before someone else does, but this complaint usually goes on to people debating whether to keep it in D at traffic lights or switch to Neutral instead. It's normal behaviour but I agree with you that it doesn't feel 'right' compared to other autos.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.