A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 18th January 2017, 01:53 PM

Default Windscreen Condensation

I've noticed recently that when the car (07 A8) is parked up that there's usually a lot of condensation on the interior windows. I've had my mechanic clean out the drains and they were pretty blocked all right and that sorted out any leaks coming from the sun roof. Still a good bit of condensation tho. So, if I open the windows and clear that off...I'm usually OK...

However, when i'm driving 1st thing in the morning and if I turn on the A/C to windscreen it totally fogs up, like in an instant. I had to pull over the other morning as I literally couldn't see out. It was like that for say 3-4 minutes until the car heated up and then it cleared. But it happens now most times when I turn it on. It's as if there's water trapped somewhere in the A/C system...

I can resort to perhaps dehumidifyer crystals but just wondering if there's something else I should be looking at? Any ideas lads?
Old 18th January 2017, 02:49 PM

Mine does it too, seems to do it less on LO than on HI. I think the evaporator is still wet from the day before and then it makes the incoming air damp.
Old 18th January 2017, 02:52 PM

Yes mine's often like that even when drain are clear, though it is a D2. I think there's plenty of residual humidity in the cabin materials as well as lurking in the HVAC system.
I do recall as and when I've used dehumidifier bags it pretty much disappears.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th January 2017, 03:58 PM

I've had the same thing with this car and also in my two S4s, doesnt happen in the summer mind, so I guess its moisture thats been brought into the car from wet shoes and stuff
Old 18th January 2017, 06:48 PM

...or a leaking rear windscreen seal
Old 18th January 2017, 09:51 PM

Where you say 'clean out the drains ' ...... so engine bulk head drains , sunroof and air con evaporator drains ?
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcanico Lee View Post
Where you say 'clean out the drains ' ...... so engine bulk head drains , sunroof and air con evaporator drains ?
Thanks Lee, no i just had the sunroof drains cleaned...not the air con drains...this might indeed be the problem...i'll go inspecting this evening....