A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 9th June 2017, 09:35 AM

I'll try to dig out my spare trim piece which, as you know, is the same colour.

Edit: All the support brackets are missing on yours.
Photo of mine to follow shortly...
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th June 2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 9th June 2017, 09:49 AM

Here's my spare Vavona trim which has all its brackets, clips and rubber stops.
Note there's a small patch of surface lacquer missing at the bottom right corner. Other marks are just dirt, it needs a clean.

In practice I think this would be invisible behind the plastic trim, if not it could be touched in easily with nail varnish or similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GearTrim1.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	16293   Click image for larger version

Name:	GearTrim2.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	16294  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th June 2017, 09:55 AM

Default Update

HPsauce - marvelous, thank you - at least I know what to look for trim wise!

The support/bracket I was looking at in the photo is the one that appears to hold the whole 'shifter' in place - on the left hand side between the tunnel and the shifter - looks broken and twisted?

Thanks

Neil
Old 9th June 2017, 09:58 AM

Yes, I know what you were referring to and I personally don't know how to fix that or how vital it is. From the angle it's at there may be something else broken further down.
It doesn't seem to be relevant to securing the trim so maybe you can live with it as it is.

It looks like someone has been in there using brute force and ignorance totally ignoring how it's put together.

But you also said the trim was not secured and it looked broken, which it is with almost all the mounting missing. Now you know what it should be like. Open to offers if you want mine.
Edit: Looking more closely the trim may be separable, with the top cosmetic surface fixed with 8 screws to the mounting plate and brackets etc. You can see a couple of the screws on the back your trim, which was obviously ripped apart!
So if your top surface is good you could think about swapping it onto a good mounting, though I think mine is fine as it is with a tiny drop of lacquer on the corner.

This is mine after a quick wipe over.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GearTrim3.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	16295  

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th June 2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 9th June 2017, 09:28 PM

Now this is really weird.
I just did a search for the part number of the trim and up popped one, for sale by our sponsors.
This is the eBay listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A8-D2...-/131660005951
But look at the picture.
It is absolutely, 100% definitely a picture of the part I have in my possession. Check the marks.

I guess they've just reused a library picture and it happens to be the one I bought.....
(Anyway I know what it's worth now )

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th June 2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Well you have 2 fault codes indicating the F125 is playing up:
Address 02: Auto Trans Module:
17090 - Transmission Range Sensor (F125)
P0706 - 35-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
and 2.
Address 03: ABS:
01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
35-10 - - - Intermittent

I assume with the "after" printout that the codes were cleared and that the car hasnt been driven after clearing them? Or at least the PRNDS issue hasnt arisen? But it does look like the F125 is acting up.
I must check my codes from the recent A8 parts visit - my car is going into Mackies in a couple of weeks for a gearbox service, so I may get the F125 switch replaced then, if they can do that.
When I spoke to them, they weren't sure about what the F125 switch was, but referred to a range selector switch instead? Anyone on here know whether that's the same part/item or not?

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:18 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
I must check my codes from the recent A8 parts visit - my car is going into Mackies in a couple of weeks for a gearbox service, so I may get the F125 switch replaced then, if they can do that.
When I spoke to them, they weren't sure about what the F125 switch was, but referred to a range selector switch instead? Anyone on here know whether that's the same part/item or not?
Yep, that's the one. I had them change mine when they rebuilt the box last year (see invoice below).

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	239
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	16373

Coincidentally, I was just speaking to John at Mackies yesterday to provisionally book my car in for an annual gearbox service in early October.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:58 PM

Perfect reply - thanks Mark. And you have to love their warranty - also perfect.

(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 23rd June 2017, 01:35 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Certainly can't fault them. My box has worked flawlessly since the rebuild.

Stephen, in case there's any confusion, this might help. This is a photo they sent me of my new F125 switch waiting to be fitted. You can just about make out part numbers if you zoom ...

Name:	SDC13286.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	479.9 KB
ID:	16375

I'm assuming of course that your car has the same part/connector, being about the same age.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 25th June 2017, 07:10 PM

Thanks again Mark - very helpful, as I'll be talking to John @ Mackies tomorrow: I'm sure it'll be the same part number, for the reasons you've said, but he'll be able to check this. I'll get the gearbox service and this replaced when I'm up for the Celtic Champion's League match on 19th July