A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 11th May 2011, 07:25 PM

Default Air Suspension died

Evening all
Coming back from Sheffield today I noticed the yellow/amber suspension light on (heart sinks)
The lift option is greyed out and the ride reverted to rock hard
I have checked the small fuse in the compartment by the passenger door, all ok. I then read all the threads I could find and set about looking for the fuse under the passenger side carpet! Thanks to Bex and her thread on a similar issue
Found it, tested it and it was dead, Result!

Managed to get one at Halfords (bought two in case 2.70 each)
Got home and just fitted it. All was ok tried the lift option and the car rose as normal and no lights. Took her for a brief ride out and within 100 yards of leaving home the light is back on again.
I haven't tried another fuse as I can't now be bothered tonight, already nursing a nice graze on my arm from fighting the carpet back into place

Anyone have any ideas what this might be, I have heard there is also a relay which plays up, could this be a cause of a blown fuse?
I can't hear any strange noises from the car and before the first time the light went out it was driving perfectly with no issues.

Any help or pointers very much appreciated as I really want to avoid the local Audi biys and their £100 plus VAT an hour
Cheers
Glyn
Old 11th May 2011, 11:52 PM

Try the relay-this is located near the fuse (the big one under the carpet) I have one spare I think (genuine one I bought from audi) but it does seem you have symptoms of the compressor being on the way out

That was what fixed mine (after replacing everythin else )

You have already replaced the ecu haven't you? Thats the only other thing really that it might be?

I will look tomorrow to see if I can find the relay I bought-if I can find it I'll pop it in the post for you.

Get the car plugged into vag-com and tell me what the fault code comes up with, if it'sthe same as mine chances are it's the compressor-gulp!

Lets hope not, mine was just under £1000

But...if it is the compressor-give me a buzz, I may be able to get another one at the price I got it for (genuine audi), as I think they are supposed to retail over £1200...

I fitted mine myself, if you have basic mechanic skills it's easy-dont get anyone else to do it (I can talk anyone through it), a it's a few hours to do if you've not done it before.

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 12th May 2011, 08:50 AM

Many thanks Bex
I am hoping it isn't the ECU as when I changed the fuse everything worked with no warning lights.
The damn thing seems to have blown the fuse again which I suspect is telling me something is overloading like the compressor. I also noticed a strange smell when I did the work yesterday after starting her up. I have heard this can be a symptom of the compressor sticking, which is probably also leading me in that direction.
If I do have to go the compressor change route I would very much appreciate your pointers on changing it. I am fairly handy with the spanners so hopefully should be able to do it. I understand it is withon the n/s front wing?

Also much appreciate the offer of the relay, if you can't find it let me know and I'll go down the local dealers late and order one and try that first. Can't believe they charge a £1000 for a pump! How the hell do they justify that
Cheers Bex
Old 12th May 2011, 01:18 PM

No problemo. Unfortunately, after turning everything in the A8 upside down, I think I have thrown the fuse (christ knows why-but I am blonde so have an excuse! )

It does sound to me like the compressor tbh, if you decide to replace it, dont go with the guy on eBay selling wabco ones, he sent me numerous pumps stating they would fit (and even labeled up as the correct model on the pump) but they didn't sit right as the mounts were wrong, they foul on the bracket inside the wing and make the most horrendous noise/vibration in your footwells you could ever imagine!

If you replace it, give me a shout-I'll see if I can get another one at the same price I got mine. And yes no problem in talking you through it Easy Peezy

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 12th May 2011, 01:58 PM

Cheers Bex
I have ordered the relay from Audi £13
They said the Compressor is £1084
He did mention I would probably need some "other" bits but I left it there for now
Relay is due Saturday so I will have a go over the weekend.
I did find another firm supplying Compressors on the net for much less but like you I am wary of them being up to standard and often its throwing good money down the drain! Did you get yours back from the German outfit?

I do question why this costs so much though it does seem far to expensive for what it is, and there are lots of threads on them failing.
Will be in touch for you kind offer of some guidance, did the Audi one come with fitting instructions out of interest?
Cheers
Glyn
Old 13th May 2011, 12:08 AM

No they dont come with fitting instructions hun, but dont panic-I can tell you how to fit it. And ignore the audi parts guy-you will have eerything you need with the compressor

I may be able to get the compressor for a little less if you do end up ordering, let me know first

Even if I can save you £80 its something! lol

I didn't send my compressor off-I was sent 3 that were supposed to fit, and none of them did even though they were made by wabco (and the gen Audi ones are wabco too), I wasted so much money sending them back to germany (and countless hours removing and replacing, then removing and replacing etc etc) that I should have just gone straight to audi in the first place doh!

Tell you what though, it's the best nearly £1000 I've ever spent after the headache I had with the crappy german supplied compressors, I was so relieved to have it fixed I almost didnt care how expensive it was

Old 13th May 2011, 07:24 AM

Many thanks Bex

I do know what you mean about costs, I am using my petrol XJ at the moment and filling it up every two minutes which after a month will have cost me as much at the pumps at this rate!!

I have the relay coming Saturday so will give that a try and let you know. Probably another fuse blown knowing my luck!

On the German front I did have this place offer me a "suitable" compressor for the A8 which they stated was the exact replacement and with a two year warranty.
Intersting though they do list three versions for the A8 as opposed to some which only state one.
Bex are these the same folks you used ?

http://www.air-suspension-shop.com/i...396fb45892cb92

I can certainly see the attraction of them at this price though
Can't seem to find any other suppliers apart from in the states where again they seem much much cheaper to Audi

Cheers
Glyn

Last edited by Glync; 13th May 2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 13th May 2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glync View Post
Many thanks Bex

I do know what you mean about costs, I am using my petrol XJ at the moment and filling it up every two minutes which after a month will have cost me as much at the pumps at this rate!!

I have the relay coming Saturday so will give that a try and let you know. Probably another fuse blown knowing my luck!

On the German front I did have this place offer me a "suitable" compressor for the A8 which they stated was the exact replacement and with a two year warranty.
Intersting though they do list three versions for the A8 as opposed to some which only state one.
Bex are these the same folks you used ?

http://www.air-suspension-shop.com/i...396fb45892cb92

I can certainly see the attraction of them at this price though
Can't seem to find any other suppliers apart from in the states where again they seem much much cheaper to Audi

Cheers
Glyn
Yep, thats the exact place that I used, although Oliver is a helpful nice chap, the compressors just dont fit properly, and I wasted oodles of time (and money with returns postage to germany) sending them all back

He also sells them on ebay (where I originally found him) so steer clear from there too

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news lol

I have my fingers crossed that it is just the relay Let me know how you get on

Bex

Old 14th May 2011, 11:13 AM

Right picked up the reply this morning so will have a go with that later today, see if I restore the Air ride back to normal and away from this BMW like feel
Turns out the additional parts suggested for puchase with the compressor is the relay anyway nothing else! Just £1084 even charge 2% extra to use the credit card, I am in the wrong business
Whilst in the dealers I enquired about the fitting of a new compressor if this relay doesn't do the trick just for an idea of not getting dirty ... quote was between 350 and 400
They then went on to say that it needs to be set up and calibrated using the laptop.
Mind you they said that about the AMI unit too
Will report in later
Cheers
Old 14th May 2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glync View Post
Right picked up the reply this morning so will have a go with that later today, see if I restore the Air ride back to normal and away from this BMW like feel
Turns out the additional parts suggested for puchase with the compressor is the relay anyway nothing else! Just £1084 even charge 2% extra to use the credit card, I am in the wrong business
Whilst in the dealers I enquired about the fitting of a new compressor if this relay doesn't do the trick just for an idea of not getting dirty ... quote was between 350 and 400
They then went on to say that it needs to be set up and calibrated using the laptop.
Mind you they said that about the AMI unit too
Will report in later
Cheers
What a load of bull... it doesnt need programing-I was fed that too... Deffo save yourself a few quid doing it yourself hun, christ if I can do it anyone can hahaha

You dont really get dirty either, it's just a bit fiddly at times.

I'd come and help if you weren't so far away lol.