A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 15th May 2011, 12:10 PM

How did you get on? Did the relay fix it?

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 15th May 2011, 02:46 PM

Hi Bex
Thanks for taking an interest in my plight
Had to wait for the rain to stop my resto project (not as complicated as an A8) is occupying both sides of the garage so I have to work outside on the A8
As if I don't have enough on!

Anyway, whipped out the old relay added a new fuse, started her up... ok then ask the suspension to do something and the fuse popped. Last time it did work for a while before popping the fuse so I guess Mr Compressor is now totally knackered. There was no noise from the nearside front at all no smells this time nothing so I can only assume the worst

Interesting though I have been offered one from a breakers which comes from a write off, 2008 car with 20K miles covered for around the £300 mark.
I am sorely tempted as funds are tight at the moment I have just forked out a fair amount on other stuff. They say if it doesn't work they will have it back. Only worry is the part numbers are slightly different lord knows Audi love to change these numbers. Having said that the relay they suppied has a different number on it to the old one so I suspect they have some sort of model year change on most things. I recall when buying the AMI there were differing version by the last section of the number

Mine is 4E0616 007 C
The one of the write off is
4E0 616 005 G
What do you think am I asking for trouble? At least they are UK based.
Anyone on here know anything re the part numbers
Also the only thing worrying me is if it isn't Mr Compressor and turns out to be something else, although all the symptoms are leading to that and most people I have spoken to agree.
Many thanks
Glyn
Old 15th May 2011, 03:46 PM

Hi Glyn, sounds like you are a busy bunny lol.

If you can hold on until tomorrow, I will check the part numbers for you There are a few differences between some of the A8 compressors (i.e diesels compressors are differents to the petrol ones, with the exception of the W12) but there have been part numbers superseded a few times over, so you may be lucky.
If the numbers are right, I would have thought that the used compressor is worth a shot ey? I'll get a price for a new one for you as well while I'm at it-just in case you decide to get a new one.

Not sur why your relay number was different though, mine wasn't?

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 15th May 2011, 05:05 PM

Bex your a star
Very much appreciate your help
I'll wait to hear from you tomorrow
Are you sure you don't mind?
This used one does sound a decent option for me and the chap I exchanged emails with sounded like a decent bloke, and I suppose I need to move quickly on it

Cheers
Glyn
Old 16th May 2011, 01:48 PM

Spoken to audi today, and he has told me that this part number: 4E0 616 005 G is incorrect as it's not showing on the audi database????

Do you know what engine the donor 2008 car was running (litre & fuel type?)

Bex

P.S he has confirmed that you need the 4E0616 007 C

Old 16th May 2011, 10:40 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Glynn,

I can confirm what Bex has said that scrapyard compressor number is not in EKTA.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Glynn,

I can confirm what Bex has said that scrapyard compressor number is not in EKTA.
I was hoping you would confirm thank you. I even got Audi to change the number (in case of a typo) to 007 not 005 and it was still wrong.

P.S 4E0 is correct (chassis) 616 is correct (number stating it is a suspension componant) but the actual componant number (005) and varient (G) is ney right???

Last edited by A8L Chick; 17th May 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:29 AM

GLYN... From further inspection of the compressor listed, I can confirm that it is NOT complete. The air line on the side of the compressor is missing, so is the T piece. If these were not removed correctly, this will have terminally damaged the compressor. I would personally not buy this compressor.
I have no idea how much the hose you need is-if in fact you can even buy it seperately??? Which I doubt because they come as a kit.

My guess is they have forced it out and broken it by accident, that is alot of money for a compressor that isn't complete.

You may be able to use your hose-but the chances are, you'd break it trying to get it out of your compressor. I've broken one (the old one-after the new one was fitted I was curious as to how difficult they are to remove, they should be simple, but after time I think they push release things get worn out. I won't ever try it again lol. I punched myself in the face in the process haha)

Old 17th May 2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks All
I have asked him for more pictures to be sure of various angles and of the pipework etc. I'll send them across for closer inspection Bex if you don't mind?

On with the search.
I have found another source of them in the UK but am checking where they source their parts from first to be sure.
Failing that I will be emptying the piggy bank and heading to Audi, who even charge a surcharge for using plastic! I just can't win on this one me thinks.
Meanwhile she sits on the drive, waiting patiently! and I get to know the local filling station girl well as I tank up the Jag
Will keep you up to date
Cheers
Glyn
Old 17th May 2011, 11:18 AM

Hi Folks
The chap has been as good as his word and sent me a bundle of pictures of the item
Here is the Audi sticker with the part number clearly shown as described and the date etc.

I also have others of the items showing the connections etc. I can't see anything broken off but I haven't taken mine out yet so can't compare.
Any help is appreciated I need to get my motor back on the road ASAP
Cheers
Glyn