A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 9th May 2012, 10:48 PM

HP, I'm in Braintree, Essex.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 10th May 2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47p2 View Post
Could be a faulty brake light switch
Working now, as described in the main cruise control thread.

Not sure what it was though.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th May 2012, 09:14 PM

Well more symptoms today, but I'm not sure how to interpret them.
Did a 90 miles there, 90 back, journey with roughly a 2-hour break.
(Went to see Ranj to look over the S8 he's thinking of selling - nice car!)

No issues at all on the way up, behaved impeccably. Just one "moment" of a couple of seconds on the way back.

I was maybe 3 miles into my return journey at a light-controlled roundabout (A46 south onto A45 West) stopped on entry. On moving off all was OK as I swung right onto and round, but as I started to turn left off the roundabout it juddered for maybe 2 or 3 seconds.

I was probably around 3rd gear and using "reasonable" (but not full) power as I was in the right of 3 lanes and knew it would quickly reduce to 2. Nothing "challenging" about so I wasn't trying hard, just making sure I wasn't in anyones way when the lanes reduced.

The rest of the journey, motorway, main roads and country lanes, was uneventful.
So, none the wiser really. Gearbox, ESP, Differential?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th May 2012, 09:18 PM

If it's on a direction change, then it's more likely to be a diff related problem.

I would check the levels of the front and centre diffs as they have different oil chambers to the autobox and run different oil.

They commonly leak from the output shaft seals and very few people actually check them let alone change the oil.

You'll need a 10mm allen socket to undo the filling plug. Stick your finger and point downwards. If you get oil on the tip of your finger... it's ok. If not... you need some more!

MG
Old 16th May 2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncroS8 View Post
If it's on a direction change, then it's more likely to be a diff related problem.
Thanks, good tip.
The only thing is it can be made to happen in a straight line and is pretty much confined to 3rd gear.

BUT you've given me some goods ideas for testing to narrow it down.

In case anyone's wondering the tyres are all the same size and wear level.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:18 PM

Well yesterday it seemed to be behaving reasonably well over a couple of hundred miles, just the odd "twitch".

So today I though, time to get VCDS (running on W7) connected.
Except, for some reason it won't read any controllers.
(possibly a flaky USB lead bought cheaply on eBay?)

So I dug out my ancient Windows ME laptop with VAG-COM on it and an old serial lead bought from RossTech and ran a mains lead out to the car to power it, then looked at the transmission, finding:

17087 Brake Switch B Circuit Malfunction
P0703 - 35-00 - -

I've cleared it to see if it returns. Any thoughts anyone as to what that is and where?

(As for the suspect lead I'll look for a USB-Serial converter then see if the original serial lead will work via that)
Old 21st May 2012, 01:15 PM

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...itcherror.html

Says thats normal if you havn't pressed the brake once you turned the ignition on
Old 21st May 2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks for that. I had indeed just turned the ignition on.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboblob View Post
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...itcherror.html

Says thats normal if you havn't pressed the brake once you turned the ignition on
+1

Quote:
Except, for some reason it won't read any controllers.
(possibly a flaky USB lead bought cheaply on eBay?
Regards cheap e-bay cable try changing latency in serial port settings from 16ms to 1 or 2ms. Mine were not connecting very well to other ECU's apart from engine before I did that. Or it might be driver issue on W7, I only used mine on XP

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 21st May 2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
+1
try changing latency in serial port settings from 16ms to 1 or 2ms.
Will do. The "Test" did throw up a comment about (I think) latency...