A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 31st May 2009, 05:01 PM

Default D3 - Retrofit Bluetooth to Replace Fixed Handset

** Edit See page 7 for photo references **

Guys,

Just replaced my fixed Audi/Motorola phone kit with the bluetooth module from Audi. Not the rSAP unit by the looks of it, but still better than the one in the car as it wouldn't read any of the SIM modules I had (read my Dad's ancient Virgin SIM, so was actually working).

Anyway the kit I was supplied with had some cables attached and a 36-pin unit within the 54-pin connector for the module, the BT aerial and some MOST cables which it turns out I didn't need as I already had a kit in the car.

Fitting was relatively simple once I'd found the correct wiring diagram (thanks to Figure11 for pointing me to erWin) as all the documentation I could find on the web was for the US OnStar to BT conversions which have different pinouts.

Procedure:

1 - Unbolt the passenger seat. it doesn't need to be removed completely, just tilted back out the way (put the backrest forward and lift the seat base up to max for best clearance), you may need to wind the seat forward and back to access the bolts (T50).

2 - Remove the plastic trim along the kick plate next to the door. This just lifts up then pulls up and towards the back of the car.

3 - Unclip the seat power cable from the guide at the bottom of the seat.

4 - Pull the carpet forward from the air vent under the seat a bit, it's split at that point already, being careful not to strain the power feed for the chair which goes through a hole in the carpet about 6 inches in front of the split.Then lift the carpet from the door side.

5 - Unclip the seat power from the holder under the carpet and push the carpet back towards the central column (using the seat rails to hold it out the way).

6 - the Car Kit is in the box to the far left nearest the door hinges, pop it open and disconnect all the cables.

7 - Get the 36-pin connector for the BT kit, and the 42-pin connector for the old kit side by side and pop the followin pins from the old connector into the new positions on the old connector leaving the rest behind.

OLD - NEW
33 - 14 - Diagnostics
42 - 11 - MIC +
41 - 12 - MIC -
15 - 10 - Terminal 31 (or Earth to the rest of us)
16 - 2 - Terminal 31
35 - 1 - Terminal 30 (or +12V for real people)

Pin 3 on the new connector is a 'remote on' for the aerial amplifier which I don't think I have as there was no associated cable on the old kit as it had a built in unit.

8 - Connect it all back up: BT aerial, MOST loop, 54-pin

9 - Test! Sit back in shock that it actually worked

10 - Re-assemble. - Close the unit's box, refit the carpet while clipping the seat power cable back in, put the door trim on (be careful not to break the clips!) and re-bolt the seat down.

11 - Enjoy your new bluetooth car kit.

It's a hoot with the SDS module, taking 5 minutes to dial a number Much quicker with the turney knob thingy or just use the phone to do it.

Still to do:

- Remove the old phone handset from the centre console.
- Fit some USB sockets in there to charge my phones so I don't have the cable trailing around.

I know.. I know..

Old 20th November 2010, 06:40 PM

For reference this is exactly the same pinout diagrams for the rSAP compatible modules as well. After I trawled through and double checked

Just buy part number 8K0 051 592 for the 54 pin connector to make it a tidy job.
Old 16th September 2011, 08:08 AM

Does anybody have the part numbers needed to swap over from the fixed handset to the bluetooth ?

I'm not bothered about the rsap functionality, I just want to be able to pair the phone with the car and use the MMI / Multi func steering wheel.

ETKA isn't too clear and Audi are clueless, all I got from the parts chap was "that wouldn't be an Audi approved upgrade !"
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 16th September 2011, 11:31 AM

You can use quite a few modules in all honesty, Mine was a Q7 one. As long as it's for the early MMI high systems (Not A4) from an A6, A8 or Q7 you are generally fine.

Then rerun your 5570 updates through to ensure all is well.
Old 16th September 2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Doc View Post
You can use quite a few modules in all honesty, Mine was a Q7 one. As long as it's for the early MMI high systems (Not A4) from an A6, A8 or Q7 you are generally fine.

Then rerun your 5570 updates through to ensure all is well.
Thanks, none on eBay at the mo so will keep looking.

Looking round ETKA it looks like I need 4E1 862 335, does that part number look right ?

If so what other bits would I need to install ?

I'll give TPS a call to get a price - I'll sit down before dialling
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 16th September 2011, 04:06 PM

You could also try craig @ tclsatnav.com for a fitted price.

Or kufatec.de

Assuming it comes with the connector block, you need nothing apart from tools.

I know.. I know..

Old 16th September 2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
You could also try craig @ tclsatnav.com for a fitted price.

Or kufatec.de

Assuming it comes with the connector block, you need nothing apart from tools.
TPS will order you connector block, very cheap. £1 I think!
Old 5th October 2011, 11:07 PM

Hi All.
Currently figuring out what parts I require to do the same thing. Replace the fixed motorola bluetooth with a non-rSAP factory bluetooth module.

Just not clear on what is required as far as the connectors are concerned. Would probably be clearer when I have everything laid out in front of me, unfortunately we don't have an Audi dealer nearby to order the required connector from so I need to do it in advance.

Where I am confused.
The motorola module has a 42-pin connector
I assume the new module has a 54-pin connector.

What is this 36-pin connector mentioned earlier? Is it some adapter that was included in the car of the OP and I don't need to worry about it?

I'll most likely be ordering a reversing camera retrofit kit from Kufatec so might try to order this 54-pin connector also. (just the connector, not the BT kit)
Would it be the 8K0 051 592 mentioned earlier, from what I have seen, that is a harness for the AMI, prob has the 54-pin attached also. Can the 54-pin be ordered by itself?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get it right and not have to be waiting for further parts down the track.

Also, are any changes required within VAGCOM to let the car know the motorola is gone and replaced by the standard BT kit?

Cheers
Old 6th October 2011, 03:05 PM

Although it's a 54-pin on the unit itself, there was only a 36-pin connector in the plug, sounds crazy, but the other pins aren't used anyway.

Car regonises the unit straight away, but you may need to go in with VCDS and let it know it's a BT kit rather than the Motorola.

I know.. I know..

Old 20th October 2012, 09:50 AM

I have started to install the bluetooth unit and have got stuck very early on - I will be missing something very obvious.

I have the cill trim removed, the trim over the bolts at the base of the seat, and the carpet lifted around the air vent.

Where I am stuck is removing the passenger seat. I have found 2 black T45 bolts that do not let me remove the seat as these are too high up. I have also found 6 T40 bolts that look like they attach the seat to the top of the rail (under the small plastic trim). Is it these 6 bolts that need removing as they are very tight and I wanted to be sure first as I cannot see any T50 bolts. Removing these bolts will leave the rail in place assuming that these are the correct bolts.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Green Alcantara Headlining, Pillars, Rear Shelf, Door Inserts
Green Trimmed Mats, Seatbelts, Steering Wheel, Centre Armrests
DAB, Freeview, ACC, 4-Zone Climate, Soft Close, Electric Blinds