A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 4th November 2013, 07:22 PM

OK, I've got the coding table, here's a sort of interpretation:

Radio soft code is 5 digits, all are binary values from 0 to 7.
The three options within each field are valued at 1, 2 or 4 (for on) and are added to give the value. Standard binary stuff.

First digit = 0
Second digit = 0 for A8 or Bose (Sound curve, uses other values for other models without Bose, e.g. A6-C5 is 2)
3rd digit = FaderOff(1), BoseDisplay(2), ActiveAmpPhoneDeactivate(4)
4th digit = Navigation(1), Telephone(2), VCS(4)
5th digit = DiversityBox(1), CDchanger(2), MFSW(4)

Not sure that makes sense of my 00117 and 00207 codes though.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th November 2013, 07:30 PM

Be aware that USA coding seems to be nowhere near the same as Europe. I found coding values quoted for our A6 that were completely off the wall compared to what it should be!

I read the code off the A6 stereo to know what to change it for, but when I got in to the soft code entering page it came up with a guided list of each number to enter which tallied with what I had from the old one

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 4th November 2013, 07:38 PM

HP, what ELSA suggests?
Old 4th November 2013, 07:46 PM

Good point - forgot it was in there! Attached....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf d2 radio coding.pdf (72.5 KB, 307 views)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 4th November 2013, 08:01 PM

Now that makes much more sense.
The coding I have is in your document as MY02 onwards.
The "up to MY 01" seems to make total sense on all the kit I have, even though my car is a D2 made in 2002 (registered 2003!).

00117 is pretty standard Bose. 00207 is standard non-Bose with powered rear speakers. 00507 would be for unpowered rear speakers.

Given my rear speakers are so useless I wonder if they are powered or not - will have a look tomorrow if it's not raining.
I have the fader set heavily to the rear to compensate.
(I had the covers off when fitting the ski hatch but didn't inspect the wiring )

Edit: Thinking about it, the rear speakers were working when coded for Bose, so that suggests that they are indeed powered. Odd they're so quiet though.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th November 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
Coding: 00017
That's for a Bose system without telephone.
Old 4th November 2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Given my rear speakers are so useless I wonder if they are powered or not
Would it be too much of a risk to change the coding to unpowered? Obviously I'd change the fader to minimise the rear first.
What sort of voltages are used in each case - anyone know?
Old 4th November 2013, 09:41 PM

I think if you code RNS-D 'non-BOSE' you won't hear anything since in BOSE config RNS-D send L and R signal to BOSE amp via line-out pins and doesn't use normal directly connected speaker pins. If your car had BOSE from day one your speaker pins are not connected. The sound goes from RNS-D pre-amp via line-out pins to BOSE amp in your boot.
Old 4th November 2013, 09:48 PM

Well yes, but non-Bose mostly still use amplifiers for the rear speakers. Which is why it's an option in the coding tables for RNS-D.
The amplified speakers have extra wires as the amps are in the housing under the parcel shelf. And according to one source I read they then feed the rear door speakers.

The FACT that I had sound from my rear speakers (door & shelf, but not front door) with Bose coded in the RNS supports that.
Which connections are used from the RNS I don't know, but it would make sense for the fronts to use the powered connections and rears to use the lineout ones in that "mixed" configuration.

Quote:
0 = No passive loudspeakers (Bose sound system)
1 = 1 passive loudspeaker (front left) (Bose with telephone)
2 = 2 passive loudspeakers (front) and 2 active loudspeakers (rear)
5 = 2 passive loudspeakers (front) and no active loudspeakers (rear)

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th November 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 4th November 2013, 09:57 PM

Was your car manufactured as BOSE car?