A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 4th November 2013, 10:00 PM

No, but the RNS in it at the moment came from a Bose car, hence the initial question.
The previous RNS was coded "2" (passive front, active rear) whereas this was coded "1" initially and gave no front output.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th November 2013, 10:11 PM

Could you please explain the problem you're trying to solve? I understand it that on non-BOSE car parcel shelf speakers don't work.

If this is the problem why you're trying to change the RNS-D? If you need to change RNS-D to solve other non-related problem I'd finish with that problem and then I'd code RNS-D for non-BOSE properly and then check wiring for amplified rear shelf speakers. I'd trace each pin on the back of RNS-D to amplifiers.

No disrespect, but I'd also stop reading anything but ELSA. All other sources are unreliable. See attached PDFed wiring diagram for RNS-D for 2002 cars. Just study what pins on the back of RNS-D are involved in non-bose setup. Then understand who amplifies what. And then do experiments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A8 D2 RNS-D 2002.pdf (3.15 MB, 600 views)

Last edited by notorious; 4th November 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 5th November 2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I understand it that on non-BOSE car parcel shelf speakers don't work.
No, they work fine and are amplified. If they don't it could be incorrect coding in the RNS or incorrect wiring from an aftermarket unit.

As I said earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'm playing with my RNS-D to try and resolve some problems and now have a "selection" of components/units that I'm swapping. But some are from a Bose system and my car is non-Bose so using them I get minimal sound output.
The problems are not related to speakers or Bose, but swapping units changes things as they're all coded differently. So I'm trying to remove these incidental changes to concentrate on the real problems, which are mostly Navigation-related.

But being inquisitive I'm interested to understand the RNS-D setup, rather than just copying another one. Though you do have to know what to copy....

PS Thanks for the PDF, looks interesting. On a quick look I did spot units R43 and R44 which I think are the amplifier/bass speaker units in the parcel shelf that I think I have.
(as the relevant note says - Models with 10 loudspeakers)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 5th November 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 5th November 2013, 07:20 AM

Oh I see now. I don't have experience with non-BOSE cars. My car was BOSE from factory and then I upgraded RND-D to RNS-E at early stage of ownership, so all my non-BOSE knowledge comes from reading ELSA.
Old 5th November 2013, 07:33 AM

I've learned a lot too.
I had assumed that on a non-Bose car the RNS provided all the power (overheating is one of my issues) whereas in reality it looks like it only powers the front speakers - on 10-speakers systems at least.
The rest are fed via the rear line-out connectors to amplifiers on each of the parcel-shelf speakers and they in turn feed the rear doors.

That rear setup is however, rather underpowered, especially compared to Bose.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:39 AM

Another thing I noticed when I upgraded my BOSE car form RNS-D to RNS-E is that sound quality became better. Perhaps RNS-E has better internal amps. Something I didn't expect as I was assuming the sound quality is mostly determined by BOSE amp in the boot and BOSE speakers which remained the same. It seems RNS-E manages to drive BOSE system better then RNS-D. Apologies for sidetracking initial theme of this thread.

Last edited by notorious; 5th November 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 5th November 2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Apologies for sidetracking initial theme of this thread.
No sidetrack, initial objective is accomplished. Additional information always welcome.
Old 6th November 2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I understand it that on non-BOSE car parcel shelf speakers don't work.
I think you may be right.

Checking more carefully, there is no sound coming from the rear shelf speakers, just the rear doors.
Now, the RNS-D I currently have installed had out-of-date software and I upgraded it, so not sure if that's relevant.
It won't accept the 00507 coding at all so is currently on 00207, same as the original system that came with the car. With the Bose coding of 00117 it's the same in the rear (but no front).

So can anyone confirm this is the case, or point me to something to check or configure? Just looking quickly in the boot it certainly looks like there are speaker units in there, but I haven't taken the covers off this time. (I did take the right cover off when fitting the ski hatch and am sure I saw a speaker cone in there)

Could it even be an earthing or power supply problem for the rear shelf speakers?

Edit: I have checked the fuses in the boot, there is a 20A one there that is listed as covering radio/phone/speakers and it is fine.

I've split this subject of silent speakers to a new thread here: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...4102#post64102

Last edited by HPsauce; 6th November 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 7th November 2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
It won't accept the 00507 coding at all so is currently on 00207, same as the original system that came with the car. With the Bose coding of 00117 it's the same in the rear (but no front).
Just to summarise my findings, as noted in the other thread:
1. The rear shelf speakers are actually working but very faint, rear doors are also weak.
2. To get any decent sound at all requires the Fader set heavily rearwards and Bass level raised.
3. Recoding (soft coding of Radio via VCDS) to 02207 has improved the sound hugely, bass is now noticeable from the rear shelf and it's much "richer" all round.

I believe setting the second digit to 2 is for A6/C5 (0 = A8/D2), though it's not well-documented online. This supposedly alters the "sound curve".
(Other values for that 2nd digit are 1 (A4/B6), 3 (A4/B6 cabrio), 4 (TT) and 5 (A2?) - anyone want to test them?)

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th November 2013 at 03:04 PM.