A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 28th April 2016, 08:50 PM

Default Preparing new toy for driving...

Hi All,

I bought my 3.7 when it was for sale, not when I was ready to drive it... Too often I've been able to afford / justify something great just after it has sold.

Anyway, the car is on the drive, started up and got hot every few days. Tyres have held pressure, battery not flat, no condensation. It has been about 8 weeks now.

So: what else should I think of? MOT runs out 11th of May, and I need to book it in and sort out insurance.

Robert
Old 28th April 2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireBloke View Post
Hi All,

often I've been able to afford / justify something great just after it has sold.

Robert
love that, I can't add anything of note to your request, but this forum is awash with folks who can't afford/justify stuff at anytime, me included, not least from SWMBO, and hope your car sails through the MOT and you enjoy it

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 29th April 2016, 05:23 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Check that the brake calipers are all working as they should. They're prone to sieze if the car is left standing.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 29th April 2016, 09:57 AM

scan it with VCDS if possible before you drive it.
Although most major issues would have been highlighted by the dash warning lights, so hopefully should be all good.
Old 29th April 2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Check that the brake calipers are all working as they should. They're prone to sieze if the car is left standing.
I second that motion ... had some vibrations on the brakes when warmed up after standing for some while

got one of those cheap temperature guns from amazon ...one front disc was 150C hotter than the other side after quite moderate braking
Old 4th June 2016, 07:10 PM

Default Follow up to helpfull posts

Hi All who posted,

Yes! The car "sailed" through MOT... Sort of.

The Laird: we have never met but your "calling stuff" is bloody supernatural! One rear brake stuck on: £60 to free off. Maybe I could park up in neutral with bricks behind wheels for safety?? (Safe, private, long flat drive).

Also you posted a reply to man selling car about him confirming if belts done on the car he was selling which I bought. That he didn't helped me to check and plan for the job doing. Thanks!

So yes, two tyre were needed and I should have noticed but I don't consider tyre replacement to be a fault.

Apart from that, at 173,000 miles, an add-on LPG kit and being out of dealer care for ages, NO PROBLEMS.

To my mind that is a result at what I was able to pay for A8 membership, again thanks for the forum, best car I ever owned, have cleaned it twice since we put on the road.

We go on a short (much needed) break to Bowness on Windermere, probably using some route advice given on the Forum. We well try to post some pics.

Robert