A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th December 2016, 09:31 PM

Question Mackies open day??

Hi Folks,

Right, a trip to Mackies is on!

Surely an firm that gets as many recommendations as Mackies might just put on a round of sandwiches and some mugs of tea on an open-day for the A8 forum??

A few years ago the Yorkshire Goldwing Club used to have a meet-up at Colin Appleyards bike shop in Keighly, a town in North Yorkshire.

With our 5* award-winning workshop and one of the largest parts, accessories and clothing departments in the country - we can cater for all your riding needs. We attend most of the major motorcycle shows in the UK; BMF, Americana, Goldwing Treffen, and the NEC to name but a few, and on the Sunday before Easter we hold our annual Goldwing Open Day at our Keighley showroom where we invite customers and members of the Goldwing Owners Club to join us for a free lunch (£1.00 minimum donation to charity) and providing the weather is good we can expect up to 500 Goldwings to arrive (and yes you are welcome too!)

The business reinforced its "expert status" in the North and Midlands, attracting Goldwing riders from Liverpool to Hull, Nottingham to Newcastle.

Anyone wanna ask Mackies if they could host a visit / open day / workshop tour?

Robert
Old 20th December 2016, 10:13 PM

It's a good idea, but my sense is that they're happy to keep us at arms length.

I think the best we've had to date is individual tours (afaik), though Jim/The Laird, Brian/9 or David/s8 are better placed than me to comment, as I'm sure they will.

The practical issue would also be that those who are already local are pretty aware of what they do, and generally pro-Mackies, for those further away it would be hard to coordinate dates.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 20th December 2016, 10:17 PM

I am sure they could, a few of us from here went on a tour a few years ago, organised by a guy who is a member of another Audi forum I used to frequent and also a Jag forum, (they have ZF boxes too) was a very interesting and enjoyable morning

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 21st December 2016, 08:09 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

While I was there a few months ago, chatting with Alan as he gave me a tour of their workshop, he did mention that they'd had an Audi club meet or two there already. I don't know what 'club' that was though ...

I suspect the distance will be the biggest hurdle for most of us Aanglish Barstads (I do miss that show! ) ... unless we can synchronise our transmission services that is ... mine is due next October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireBloke View Post
Keighly, a town in North Yorkshire.

I know it well. Funnily enough Keighley is where I bought my S8 6 years ago, from some back-street car trader who had recently got it from a nearby car auction. Here's one of his photos of the car ... you might recognise the street:

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	15303
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 21st December 2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 21st December 2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
While I was there a few months ago, chatting with Alan as he gave me a tour of their workshop, he did mention that they'd had an Audi club meet or two there already. I don't know what 'club' that was though ...

I suspect the distance will be the biggest hurdle for most of us Aanglish Barstads (I do miss that show! ) ... unless we can synchronise our transmission services that is ... mine is due next October.
Brilliant clip, not seen that one, weirdly.... (I love the "New Zealand - just like Paisley" bit - aye, maybe...).
Reminded me a bit of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_th...e_Modern_World.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 21st December 2016, 10:37 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Brilliant clip, not seen that one, weirdly.... (I love the "New Zealand - just like Paisley" bit - aye, maybe...).
Reminded me a bit of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_th...e_Modern_World.
Interesting. Hadn't heard of the of that book. I wonder if it was inspired by Absolutely's McGlashan

Looking for that clip was a mistake. I've got so much work to do yet instead I got lost in an endless stream of irresistible Absolutely clips like this and this.

It did lead me to discover the show recently made a comeback though, as a Radio 4 show (a copy of which I have now managed to acquire!). Now I have something to listen to on the long Xmas visiting drives (PM me anyone who wants a copy).

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 21st December 2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:55 PM

Default Is the request for free snap the problem here...

Hi All,

Some interest anyhow, may be taken up by Mackies??

Thing is, a date a few months in front might just tempt a few 8ers to book their cars in for work (as suggested in the thread). Maybe a special (overtime) weekend session for the firm?? More brass for the mechanics? Sure, no one wants to work weekends but for the right money... buy some toys for your loved one? (I meant Lady: not motor! ).

As a (small) businessman I would relish the hit of extra turnover and the chance to make new customers from miles away. The A8 forum might just find a B&B with a large, secure car park that would host a "bit of a do"; again might be good business for them in March / April??

An unexpected bonus of traveling to Goldwing rallys was the experience of seeing bits of the country that the owners were proud of and delighted to show off to folks from elsewhere. Essex might mean white handbags to you but it means fantastic countryside to me!

Robert
Old 21st December 2016, 10:33 PM

must be a regional thing but not sure what "free snap" is, at a guess its some refreshments/food etc?

When we went they opened specially on a Saturday morning for us and they laid on a very nice spread, the owner/manager even persuaded his wife to come along and supervise the catering

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey

Tags
mackies visit