A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 23rd September 2016, 03:41 PM

Default Tips on Good roads in North Wales: trip to Llandudno!

Hi,

My Lady and I are having a few days away by the sea. She likes the look of Llandudno- I like the chance stretch the D2 over some Welsh blacktop...

We live in South Yorkshire and are travelling Sunday morning, off 9 am.

ViaMichelin is giving me A628, A560, M56, A494, A55, A547' then B5115 , timed to take 3 hours.

Does anyone have ideas for worthwhile extra miles, especially in N Wales as I don' have much knowledge of the area.

Robert
Old 23rd September 2016, 04:02 PM

Hmm, Maybe take the direct route there. Then on the way back come back via these waypoints: Betws Y Coed, Nebo, Then at Pentrefoelas (maybe stop here for a coffee).

Then you have what is known as "The EVO Triangle". That is a iconic road circuit. As the name suggests, its a triangular route. On one side - long open stretches of road and twisty moorland where you can see the road for miles ahead. On side two - long, fast straight and side three is forestry.

Finally Denbigh and Mold and you are back on route home. Of course you could do the above in reverse if you prefer.
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 23rd September 2016, 04:07 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I like Llandudno. Been many times.

Make sure you take a trip around Marine Drive:
http://www.greatorme.org.uk/marinedrive.html

I would also recommend a trip over to over to Anglesey over one/both bridges (the Menai and Britannia I think they're called).
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd September 2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 24th September 2016, 09:20 AM

Default Great tip, thanks!

Hi,

Just one point; why not do Evo Triangle on Sunday morning? Is it too busy / intrusively monitored??

Would Weds morning be more likely to be free of Obstructions to Making Progress...

Thanks,

Robert
Old 24th September 2016, 02:03 PM

I cycle up there a fair bit and it is far from busy on any day - or time of day. That is part of the attraction. There is not much out there other than open road (and sheep!).

I have never seen it monitored or busy....
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 29th September 2016, 08:02 PM

Default Returned refreshed!

Hi All,

Thanks again to you all for your tips; it helped set up a great few days away which we both needed...

Evo Triangle: YES! Do it. Safe, little traffic, no cameras, ample opportunity for Making Progress. HUGE visibility on SOME parts but of course only Go For It when you can see (and remember someone else may also be Going For It the other way....).

Of course you're all Adults and I don't mean to lecture. Would just be sad if over enthusiastic errors led to state controls on our freedom. Again.

Tilestone Hotel B & B was OK, really clean and (crucially) had quiet on-street parking, available at any return time, i.e. We came back in at 1 pm, 5 pm and 9 pm and got parked in view of our hotel room. Can't do that on the street where I live!! (Got drive but don't always really want to mess about...).

I prefer this parking to a hotel car park. Yes, really! 1. I find the A8 big for most car parks: inexpensive guest house drives no way! 2. Even worse, other motorists have to avoid my car! Seeing how close the wheelie bins came to parked cars made me happy to have space on-street.

Anyhow, Llandudno was the kid of kid-free, not "shouty" break we needed. Good restaurants, lovely views, Great Orme fantastic.

If you said it was Old and a little Boring maybe that is what we are like...

Robert and Carolyn
Old 30th September 2016, 11:18 AM

Glad you both enjoyed it Robert.
My speedlimiter once absailed of the Great Orme.
We often head out that way, of course a lot easier for us distance wise. We "borrowed" an A8 boot lood of big rocks of the beaches there during the summer. SWMBO wants to go back for some more!!!

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)