A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 24th February 2022, 07:38 AM

Default A6 2014 2.0 Petrol - Opinions?

My son who lives in the Netherlands is considering a 2014 Audi A6 Avant
S-Line 2.0 TFSI . What are the thoughts on the 2L TFSI engine/car?

https://occasions.audi.nl/#/occasion...ing--trekhaak-
Old 24th February 2022, 10:51 AM

Run screaming from the 2.0TFSI. There are so many stupid and catastrophically expensive problems with that engine its not 'if' it breaks and writes off the car, but when.

The timing chain tensioners are a standard VAG issue, and when the plastic pads break they destroy the head - the fix is a whole new head at 3K + fitting.

The high pressure fuel pump follower wears through and destroys the cam and pump - guess what? New head obvs.

Also some generations around that age had a problem with piston rings and burn oil almost as fast as fuel. A lot of them were done under warranty, but if not you can imagine how expensive that can get.

I would rather get the bus than own )or look after) anything with that engine. Its actually worse than the 2.5 V6 TDI, which is quite a feat!

Old 24th February 2022, 11:43 AM

many thanks MJ. Your advice has been passed on
Old 24th February 2022, 12:16 PM

Ok, so which is the best engine for the A6?
Old 24th February 2022, 01:26 PM

Best overall is the 3.0TDI - the biturbo version is a beast. The 2.0TDI is ok but has issues with balance shafts, but is quite frugal.

For petrol engines, the 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 is excellent. There is a 2.8 FSI V6 but tbh I'm not even sure we got that here. Other than needing their intakes cleaned from time to time, I've not heard of any significant issues with the FSI V6s.
Old 24th February 2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Best overall is the 3.0TDI - the biturbo version is a beast. The 2.0TDI is ok but has issues with balance shafts, but is quite frugal.

For petrol engines, the 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 is excellent. There is a 2.8 FSI V6 but tbh I'm not even sure we got that here. Other than needing their intakes cleaned from time to time, I've not heard of any significant issues with the FSI V6s.
I agree about the biturbo in the A6 - I hate all diesels, but this is the sole exception to that rule

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 17th March 2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
My son who lives in the Netherlands is considering a 2014 Audi A6 Avant
S-Line 2.0 TFSI . What are the thoughts on the 2L TFSI engine/car?

https://occasions.audi.nl/#/occasion...ing--trekhaak-
David, I'm moving to the Netherlands later in the year and will be looking for an Audi of some sort - could your son help me navigate the used car market? Seems a completely different game!

Gone but not forgotten - the Audi chronicles:
2010 A8 D3 3.0 TDIq Sport - Quartz Grey, B&O
2005 A4 B7 3.0 TDIq Avant - Dolphin Grey, RNS-E, Cruise, HK - sold at 177k
Old 17th March 2022, 09:17 AM

Whereabouts are you going? tbh he was only dipping his toe into the market having previously relied on public transport and bike but he now requires a car for work. So not sure how much help he could be but ill ask him and pass his details on by PM
Old 17th March 2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Whereabouts are you going? tbh he was only dipping his toe into the market having previously relied on public transport and bike but he now requires a car for work. So not sure how much help he could be but ill ask him and pass his details on by PM
You absolute gent, thank you!

Moving to Amsterdam. Pretty sure I don't "need" a car but not having one would be like losing a leg, and I want to be able to drive around the continent and back to the UK with the family (incl. a 3-yo) regularly!

I have been considering something fairly basic like a Skoda Octavia, but the Audi forces are strong in the blood...

Gone but not forgotten - the Audi chronicles:
2010 A8 D3 3.0 TDIq Sport - Quartz Grey, B&O
2005 A4 B7 3.0 TDIq Avant - Dolphin Grey, RNS-E, Cruise, HK - sold at 177k
Old 17th March 2022, 11:47 AM

im picking him up from edinburgh airport this pm so ill speak to him then whereabouts in the 'Dam are you going?