A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 1st May 2022, 08:00 AM
Banned

In simple terms bose amp does not work with aftermarket head units because uses floating ground between it and head unit but not the car while all the other head units and amplifiers ever made use the typical phono connection which means the ground between the head unit, the amp and the car is common.

In the bose system the ground between head unit and amp is separate to car's ground (has different potential) so you will always get a really loud pop in the speakers when you turn the car on, mute and on shut down with an aftermarket head unit as you will be introducing 2 different grounds at different potentials to eachother.

You also get more power, cooler running amp and more control over the sound, as you can use a DSP on the head unit or a separate DSP altogether that allows you to for example measure the distance of each speaker to your ears and input those measurements to the DSP software so that sound from each speaker arrives in your ears at the same time and 999 other options, this is very niche nerd stuff though.

I just want modern oem looking tech in my D2 like wireless android auto and car play, reverse camera or something as simple as DAB radio working which can't be done using the bose amp.

Last edited by Ronin; 1st May 2022 at 08:07 AM.
Old 20th September 2022, 12:56 PM
Banned

Update:
Applied an rnse-esque theme:

Coming up:

I'm half way into retrofitting a heated mfsw and of course I'll get the buttons on the wheel working with the radio
Old 12th October 2022, 11:48 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you for keeping this updated. I'm currently fitting the same unit in my car and this thread has been a fantastic resource both in choosing the unit and helping with the install.👍
Old 13th October 2022, 12:40 PM
Banned

Thanks.

Video of head unit working with a retrofitted heated MFSW attached.
So far only volume up, volume down and track skipping buttons work.

I'm yet to figure out how to bind the phone button on the steering wheel to the head unit, and the r/t button whatever it does.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 WhatsApp Video 2022-10-11 at 18.48.28.mp4 (904.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 13th October 2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
and the r/t button whatever it does.
Road / track in Dodge parlance
Old 15th October 2022, 07:38 PM
Banned

Radio/telephone switchover
Old 14th December 2022, 03:55 PM
Banned

R/T button now working, so thats 5 out of 6 buttons on the wheel working.

On with the reasearch to get the last one worky worky

Old 8th May 2023, 04:48 PM
Banned

Had a spare moment to experiment with GPS antenna positioning.

I decided to move it out of the boot lid as I will be fitting a gpswart-less boot lid soon.

So i decided to de-lid the antenna and put it in 3d printed box which will be attached with double sided sticky tape:

First fitting location I tried is dash, it would have been mounted under the dash, above the vents:

Second location is rear parcel shelf:

And here's the reception quality in the original location:

I ended up picking rear parcel shelf for it's final resting place.
Old 8th May 2023, 06:30 PM

It's a very long time ago now, and on my PF S8, but I ended up putting the "puck" outside at the very rear of the back window, just in front of the boot lid.
I'll see if I can find a picture...

Much better reception there as the rear screen does block the signals to an extent. And that was for the very rare RNS-C.
It was a bit of a PITA to graft it onto the existing wiring, but as you're running a new one should be pretty simple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPSaerial.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	29548  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th May 2023 at 06:42 PM.
Old 9th May 2023, 09:38 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Was the gps module in the boot lid incompatible?

The reason why i de-lidded mine was to hide it under the parcel shelf trim to have as much of an oem look as possible, this may be a good idea for others thought