Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 31st May 2022, 12:52 PM

That's a good idea Mini-meet & detailing day
Old 31st May 2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Especially looking forward to those photos (shallow, I know...)

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 31st May 2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
We could rock up at Nicola's for a "washdown training session" Bert can take some shots (sans Scooby) and get some additional editorial stuff for his magazine. Win Win.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 31st May 2022, 08:19 PM

The arb links are wrong on the standard D2 Meyle kit as well as the FE I'll fix this when its back from Nicola.

The driver's door trim strip was in a bad state - the aluminium is not recoverable, and its bent at both ends

Window frame out so I can change the strip

Bad one removed

Replacement fitted - I polished this one before putting it on

Shiny

Mirror before

and after

The front passenger window was oddly crunchy so I removed the frame to investigate. While it was off, I polished the trim on this side - this one came out fine

Very bizarre - the cable has somehow escaped from the pulley Its under the glass so not particulary easy to get to

Some fiddling and poking got it back on. The window slides up and down just fine so I'm not sure how the cable came off in the first place. It shows no inclination to come off again

The Allroad is broken (because Allroad) so Lilith is doing yard donkey duties and she is not impressed! A D2 moving another D2 like this is very hard to manuever. It would be much easier with something short like an A2

Conspicuously still not at Nicola's yet Just the left side doors to put back together and then it'll be off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	193.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	28613   Click image for larger version

Name:	194.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	28614   Click image for larger version

Name:	195.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	28615   Click image for larger version

Name:	196.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	28616   Click image for larger version

Name:	197.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	28617   Click image for larger version

Name:	198.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	28618   Click image for larger version

Name:	199.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	28619   Click image for larger version

Name:	200.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	28620   Click image for larger version

Name:	201.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	28621   Click image for larger version

Name:	202.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	28622  

Click image for larger version

Name:	203.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	28623   Click image for larger version

Name:	204.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	28624   Click image for larger version

Name:	205.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	28625  
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:44 PM

Default Replacement fitted - I polished this one before putting it on

Loving this WITW . . . . as always!

Question on - "Replacement fitted - I polished this one before putting it on"

What's the recommended process & materials for polishing the D2 chrome (aluminium?) surround trims?

I know (through miserable 2x£165 Audi spend experience) that the D3 rear quarters are irrecoverable once milky. It is nice to no longer have bright white rear quarters at night tbf though. Almost worth the expense . . . .

I've always avoided going to work on the D2 shiny bits because I thought it was the same deal as D3. If not, I'll be glad to get to work!

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!
Old 7th June 2022, 08:26 PM

Just catching up on Car SOS nonsense and it reminded me of a spray silvering process that might work for unrecoverable ‘chrome’ trim

This is the company they used:

http://www.chromespray.co.uk/

Might be worth a try with a set that’s well past it and see if it’s cost effective/looks right? I suspect you’d need to do a full set of trim or there’d be noticeable variation in finish

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th June 2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post

There is another product that I came across a couple of years ago called Hydrochrome, but both products are quite expensive (even the 'basic' setup), so they're not the sort of thing an individual would purchase just for their own car. They both seem geared towards a full time business concern.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 8th June 2022, 06:30 AM

I have seen the silver nitrate products - you can buy the solution on its own relatively cheaply. I was looking at one the other day which is activated by a flame and goes from clear to chrome-effect. They look good on a nice smooth substrate, but when the anodising fails on the D2 parts they go like sandpaper. The silver nitrate coatings would just make shiny sandpaper in that case. You'd have to chemically remove the remaining anodising to bare aluminium, then sand and polish it to a perfect smooth finish (same as you do for actual chrome), at which point the silver nitrate is moot anyway since you could just polish the aluminium. The silver nitrate needs lacquering over the top to protect it as well so another extra step.

Quote:
I suspect you’d need to do a full set of trim or there’d be noticeable variation in finish
Indeed so. The amount of time this would take currently makes it cost prohibitive - it would be several thousand in labour just on brightwork. I can't see that being viable at the moment tbh.

I am planning on doing a full set in gloss black for my S8, which is going to be fairly labour-intensive, although doesn't require the full polish that silver nitrate would. It's probably going to be blasted and powder-coated. I'll report back on how long that all takes.
Old 8th June 2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Just catching up on Car SOS nonsense and it reminded me of a spray silvering process that might work for unrecoverable ‘chrome’ trim

Might be worth a try with a set that’s well past it and see if it’s cost effective/looks right? I suspect you’d need to do a full set of trim or there’d be noticeable variation in finish
I saw that programme too, have their website saved in my bookmarks for 'another day'
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 8th June 2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:

I wonder how well that would work on a prepped front and rear screen trim surround?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!

Last edited by strummagnet; 8th June 2022 at 04:37 PM.