A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 13th June 2022, 09:31 AM

If you paid part or all amount by credit card or any other form of credit and purchase price was between £100-30k you get extra protection from lender as they are responsible for goods as well.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 13th June 2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post

I just checked and did indeed pay £1000 deposit by card, not sure how that helps though.
Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. So long as the car wasn't more than £30k you can raise a claim with the credit card company as the vehicle quality was not good enough.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 13th June 2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. So long as the car wasn't more than £30k you can raise a claim with the credit card company as the vehicle quality was not good enough.
Unfortunately it was, so that avenue is closed.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th June 2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately it was, so that avenue is closed.
Maybe not...

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org....-bought-credit

Quote:
In certain circumstances where the cash price is over £30,000, a credit provider might still be responsible for what has happened under Section 75A. If you think this applies to you, contact us.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...39/section/75A
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 13th June 2022, 11:27 AM

As others have stated, s75.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...our-purchases/

When I bought my RS4 there were a number of undisclosed issues which the supplying garage was not interested in at all, I called my card provider and brought a claim under s75. They requested an independent report on the car, which I got. They agreed to settle at the full cost of repairs which amounted to a large sum (thousands), if we hadn't come to an agreement they would have refunded in full and taken the car away!

It was <£30k in my case, sadly I think not going to work in your case as s75a relies on the credit being tied to the item purchased, so car finance would have worked but a credit card probably not? https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...hases/#over30k

I'd still be contacting the supplying dealer to get their views and support, but ultimately you might have to suck it up as any offer you are getting at present is goodwill!?
Old 20th June 2022, 12:13 PM

Yes I think you're right. After a further round of discussions, with no really significant improvement, we've told the servicing dealer to proceed with the engine swap.

That doesn't mean we've given up on hassling Volvo, but we do want the car back and working and will probably pursue them further once it's fixed.
I'm sure if this was a diesel engine they'd be being a lot more generous

I think having picked up my S8 from the D2 Doctor has maybe put me in a more positive mood as I know that almost anything on a car can be fixed with appropriate ingenuity, but a borked cylinder/block isn't one of them.
And at the end of the day it's pretty much just a tarted up Ford Focus, apart from the engine.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th June 2022, 05:08 PM

Not exactly a happy ending to this story, but at least it will end and you can use the car again! Hopefully no delay and smooth sailing from here, painless apart from the bill!
Old 14th July 2022, 10:08 AM

I'm told the work is finished but the car needs to be returned from the (larger) dealer branch where it was done back to my local branch.
I'm very sceptical, having received cars back from major work in the past, that it will be 100% so have a list of things that need verifying or attention.

At best they will have put it all back together, checked the engine runs and plugged in a computer to check all systems report they're okay. Doubt they'll have given it a serious "real world" checkout. I've asked the local dealer to do that and also for me to have a test drive before accepting it back. It's been away four months now so I've asked for a fresh MOT and service due date to be revised to 12 months from now!

I've been through my checklist with the service manager and hopefully will get it back early next week. None of my points got a verbal rejection or were deemed unreasonable.
Old 14th July 2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I've asked the local dealer to do that and also for me to have a test drive before accepting it back. It's been away four months now so I've asked for a fresh MOT and service due date to be revised to 12 months from now!

I've been through my checklist with the service manager and hopefully will get it back early next week.
Constructive response so far, I think they're just glad to get rid of it!
Should get it Monday.

Only thing in doubt is taxing it (currently on SORN) as with a new engine it's possible DVLA will issue a new V5C. Until I get that the old one could be no use for getting it road legal again!
Old 14th July 2022, 03:07 PM

Tax it with the old one and then send the new engine number to DVLA