A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 20th July 2022, 08:13 PM

Default Flashing lights on remote lock

My car is a 2005 W12. When I lock the car it gives me no acknowledgement at all. It wasn't always like this but I don't recall exactly which lights used to flash. I had problems with the battery some time ago and even now there are periodic days when the new battery goes down to almost 10% if I leave the car for 3 days without using it. When I unlock the car with the remote, it does flash and at night will light up the headlights for 5 seconds or so. So usually now I have to unlock the car, then lock it just to convince myself that the car is responding to commands.
I have VCDS but have no idea after lots of trawling, which module I can change its code to get the lights to flash on locking

Another strange thing that happened once when I had to take out, recharge and re-install the battery is that the steering would withdraw when I turned off the ignition and reset to my comfort position when I climbed back in. This it did for a while but suddenly it stopped. This is a cool feature that I would like to get back. How and where in VCDS can I code this as well?

I also recently installed a set of upgrade LCD rear tailights. OEM parts. I was told by many that this was a plug and play item but ever since I installed them I have been getting a rear light bulb error on the rear RH unit, the lights however work fine its just the error showing on the dash and in the VCDS scan.

In addition, I just noticed this evening when I went out to check the car at night that the dashboard lights were on. I had remote locked it earlier and now I could see that the ignition lamps and others on the dials were on as if I had turned the key to the first position before starting. Whereas the key want even on me at all. This is likely why the battery runs down overnight sometimes. Any ideas what could cause this?

Lots of other problems but Ill settle for fixing these 3 for now,
Regards

Other cars: Toyota Solara Coupe..Daily driver
Subaru Legacy B4 RSK : Project car RHD to LHD conversion ongoing
Make 2mrw better than 2dy

Last edited by BlackAudiA8; 20th July 2022 at 08:17 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 19th August 2022, 12:31 PM

Somewhat late in responding to this, but hope this helps.

Q1. Lock/Unlock Confirmation
- In VCDS, go into module '46. Central Conv.'
- Click on 'Adaptation - 10'
Click on the dropdown and choose 'Central Locking Functions'
NB. Take a note of the current 'stored value', so you can revert back to it if the following doesn't work.

- A popup should appear giving three selections, as follows:
'+1 locking confirmation blink'
'+2 unlocking confirmation blink'
'+4 Terminal 87 (USA Logic)'

I can't find anything specific about what the '+4' option does, but here is what the following values will/should produce:
1 - Indicators will blink when car is locked, but NOT when unlocked
2 - Indicators will blink when car is unlocked, but NOT when locked
3 - Indicators will blink when car is locked AND unlocked

- Enter the desired value into the 'New Value' field
- Click on the 'Test' button and you should hopefully get a confirmation message
- Click on the 'Save' button
- Click on the 'Done, Go Back' button

Q2. Steering wheel no longer moving
Does the switch to adjust the height and distance of the steering wheel still work? If so, then hopefully it's just a matter of pressing the small button behind that switch to enable the 'Convenience entry' feature. See attached image.

Q3. LED tailights
Although you say the lights are working, are there 'any' faulty LEDs in the unit, as 'several' faulty ones will generate an error code. This is what I had on mine when I think 3 of the LEDs had failed:
02740 - Bulb for Tail Light 2; Left
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Q4. Dashboard lights
As you surmised, this is partially what's leading to the flat battery, although a full scan with VCDS should help to locate the issue, which is most likely due to a module/modules not 'going to sleep'. Keyless entry door handles are a prime candidate to check.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D3 Steering Wheel Adjustment.png
Views:	131
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	28822  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds