A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th March 2022, 02:12 PM

Default Skoda Superb 280 - true D2 successor?

Does anyone have a Skoda Superb 280?
It would be interesting to hear how it compares to a D2
I’m strongly considering one.
Looks very understated, nice and big, 4 wheel drive, reliable EA888 engine, but essentially a simple car not overbloated with stuff like post D2 8’ts.
Could this be the true D2 successor (in the VAG group)?
Old 15th March 2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
reliable EA888 engine
I think that may be the first instance in recorded history of those two terms being used in connection with each other

Early versions of the Superb were based on the Passat. Have the later models grown a bit?
Old 15th March 2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I think that may be the first instance in recorded history of those two terms being used in connection with each other

Early versions of the Superb were based on the Passat. Have the later models grown a bit?
��
I thought Gen 3 was ok? I read the older ones gen 1, gen 2, have issues. I only did basic google research so could easily be wrong. If its not reliable I’ll re-consider.
I think the platform is still based on the Passat, which is considered more luxurious lol. I guess I’m way off base its not really in the same league as the A8.
I just like the relative simplicity of it, not too heavy, quick, and doesn’t stand out.

Last edited by Goran; 15th March 2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 15th March 2022, 03:07 PM

Gen3 might be ok, but even in the B8 they've been dire. Having seen them in bits, and seen some of the insane design decisions, I wouldn't touch one of any generation. Still, I don't trust anything made after 2005 so take that fwiw
Old 15th March 2022, 03:18 PM

Our Golf has the CHHA engine (PP spec EA888 gen 3) - it's generally fine, but with stupid built in faults like the water pump/thermostat housing that really should've been resolved by now.

The Superb is an odd car - friend has an estate and loves it (but then his previous car was a 58 plate Mondeo estate diesel, so the bar is VERY low!)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th March 2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Gen3 might be ok, but even in the B8 they've been dire. Having seen them in bits, and seen some of the insane design decisions, I wouldn't touch one of any generation. Still, I don't trust anything made after 2005 so take that fwiw

I’m with you on that! Normally I hate turbos too, more stuff to go wrong.
The other one I really want is the V8 C63, but I don’t think I can stomach £600 road tax 🤣
Seems like a nice engine from a layman’s point if view, NA, plus the version with SLS internals sounds more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Our Golf has the CHHA engine (PP spec EA888 gen 3) - it's generally fine, but with stupid built in faults like the water pump/thermostat housing that really should've been resolved by now.

The Superb is an odd car - friend has an estate and loves it (but then his previous car was a 58 plate Mondeo estate diesel, so the bar is VERY low!)
Thanks Adrian. I guess I should drive one to see how they feel.
Or maybe I should just keep saving for a EV eventually.
Old 15th March 2022, 04:21 PM

Briskoda forum is the place to be.

This guy tuned his to 560 ps...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...80ps-to-560ps/
Old 15th March 2022, 05:04 PM

Default Strange but true...

Well, a Skoda Superb is the only car I'd ever have considered replacing Herman with (until you-know-who came along...) - simply because being sat in one felt almost exactly the same as my S8.

I never drove one though, so can't comment on engines, handling etc....

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 15th March 2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
The other one I really want is the V8 C63, but I don’t think I can stomach £600 road tax 🤣
That sounds much more sensible, with the only slight rub being the hubris of the AMG engineers leading them to not fit an oil pressure sensor, but seal the oil pump to the block with an o-ring It'll explode eventually, the same as the EA888, but be much more fun in the meantime
Old 15th March 2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Well, a Skoda Superb is the only car I'd ever have considered replacing Herman with (until you-know-who came along...) - simply because being sat in one felt almost exactly the same as my S8.

I never drove one though, so can't comment on engines, handling etc....
Thanks Tintin that’s what I like to hear! Now that makes me want to try one even more.

Quote:
That sounds much more sensible, with the only slight rub being the hubris of the AMG engineers leading them to not fit an oil pressure sensor, but seal the oil pump to the block with an o-ring It'll explode eventually, the same as the EA888, but be much more fun in the meantime
Oh dear that is a bad design flaw. I really didn’t expect that on a hand built Mercedes performance engine. Has someone come up with an upgrade for the oil pump to block joint?