A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 8th July 2022, 09:03 PM

Default 06' A8 - few issues

New to D3 and there are few issues I'd like to resolve and need some advice from the professionals.

First being after windscreen replacement auto lights don't won't anymore, permanently on, where would one start?

Second is error code for both engine mounts, solenoid open circuit? Is this fixable or required new mounts?

Old 9th July 2022, 08:43 AM

Windscreen - Two possible reasons
1. They used the 'cheese wire' method to remove the windscreen and cut through the wire (#31) in the attached image.
2. The wire (#31) wasn't cut when removing the windscreen but wasn't connected again.

Part number for the wire is 4E0970291 (£15).

Engine mounts - Most people tend to live with them being faulty, especially at £400 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 D3 Auto Headlight Sensor.png
Views:	184
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	28746  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 9th July 2022, 09:55 AM

There's an OE retrofit-bodge for the engine mounts I think, which is just a plug with a resistor in it to make the light go out. Can't remember where I've seen it though.
Old 9th July 2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
There's an OE retrofit-bodge for the engine mounts I think, which is just a plug with a resistor in it to make the light go out. Can't remember where I've seen it though.
I've seen this somewhere too but struggled to find it when I was looking! Damn wish I saved the part number lol. I'm sure ETKA didn't list it either
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 9th July 2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Engine mounts - Most people tend to live with them being faulty, especially at £400 each.
I'm not a D3 owner but even my first reaction was to recall seeing exactly that many times, a problem not worth solving!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th July 2022, 08:23 AM

Have seen mention of a TSB for the engine mounts but can't find any specific details about it. However, I did come across several references in relation to similar issues on A4s and A6s, with one comment for a DIY solution being a 19ohm resistor. The issue seems to be more pronounced on these cars as 034 Motorsport actually sell a 'resistor bypass connector':

https://store.034motorsport.com/resi...udi-s4-v8.html

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 11th July 2022, 11:26 AM

Checked and wire is intact and plugged in on both ends, next stop I'd imagine is replacing rain/light sensor?

As for engine mounts, they're not triggering EML and I can't say there is much difference in smoothness I guess, just noticed a code that won't go away.
Old 11th July 2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunker7 View Post
Checked and wire is intact and plugged in on both ends, next stop I'd imagine is replacing rain/light sensor?
Assuming the sensor is at fault, there are two versions:
1. Light sensor only - 4E0907262 ~£85
2. Light AND rain sensor - 8K0955559A (~£215) or superseded with 8K0955559D (~£235)

Old 11th July 2022, 05:59 PM

If it was done recently and stopped working since, I would get them back out to sort it

As for the engine mounts, try and get a visual on them, if they look OK and the ride seems good along with no engine shake on idle/start up, I would leave them for now
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 12th July 2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Assuming the sensor is at fault, there are two versions:
1. Light sensor only - 4E0907262 ~£85
2. Light AND rain sensor - 8K0955559A (~£215) or superseded with 8K0955559D (~£235)
Checked wiring again and all good, and sensor don't look healthy as it seems it needs to be filled with gel. So I'll look out for new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220712_111616.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	540.5 KB
ID:	28749   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220712_111621.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	28750