A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 6th March 2017, 06:52 PM

Try not to use the DVDs you can see through if you hold them up to the light (obviously you can't if they are the printed or printable type with an opaque coating) some have so little substrate the difference between 0 & 1s is not enough for our equipment. Taiyo Yuden CD's and DVD's such as JVC were the best but as optical discs are old tech, they sold off the production to CMC and you can't be sure you are getting them now unless specified in the advert.

It would be difficult to clean as usually the cleaning DVD is designed to play a video but the navi would probably just spit it out as unreadable.

You can get new laser assemblies on aliexpress or maybe disassemble and clean manually.
Old 6th March 2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Try not to use the DVDs you can see through if you hold them up to the light (obviously you can't if they are the printed or printable type with an opaque coating) some have so little substrate the difference between 0 & 1s is not enough for our equipment. Taiyo Yuden CD's and DVD's such as JVC were the best but as optical discs are old tech, they sold off the production to CMC and you can't be sure you are getting them now unless specified in the advert.

It would be difficult to clean as usually the cleaning DVD is designed to play a video but the navi would probably just spit it out as unreadable.

You can get new laser assemblies on aliexpress or maybe disassemble and clean manually.
I've heard people have success with lens cleaning DVDs, not needed to myself. Manny, I've burned lots of these DVDs for people over the last few years, I just use my Mac's default settings and DVD-Rs from the local ASDA. Do you want me to pop some in the post to you?

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 7th March 2017, 06:45 AM

Mine was doing the same for a few years on and off. The standard CD lens cleaners do work for a bit, as it will try to read it and brush the head.

FOr me this lasted a few months- there was some paint dust from a previous owners tinting work which seemed to circulate into the lens after time.

Its actually not too difficult to open the DVD drive and clean the lens directly with a cotton bud soaked in Isopropyl alcohol.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 10th March 2017, 06:55 PM

I wonder where the lens is within the drive. I've got some very long cutips which in theory could be inserted into the slot the DVD goes in but where is the laser head.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 11th March 2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
I wonder where the lens is within the drive. I've got some very long cutips which in theory could be inserted into the slot the DVD goes in but where is the laser head.
I cant remember the details, and didn't take any photos, but generally the lens is in a slot and parks towards the centre hub

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 11th March 2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomguy View Post
I cant remember the details, and didn't take any photos, but generally the lens is in a slot and parks towards the centre hub
Yes as discs are read from the 'inside>out'

I would buy a lens cleaner and try it.
Old 11th March 2017, 11:55 AM

I would as well because with such a slim slot and lens close to the middle it will be very tricky to succeed.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 16th March 2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
I use UnRarX (was free), then right click the ISO and select 'burn disk image DVD2.iso to disc...

It's very simple mate.
Hi john sorry to bother you buddy as I am getting really annoyed with this! Did as you suggested on my mac pro, installed URar and extracted the file into iso and then burned it at speed four, for some reason its still not working

cheers mate

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 16th March 2017, 08:27 AM

Hello H-M3, I use Macs too and I just right-clicked the .iso in Finder and chose Burn To Disk (or words to that effect).
What I am saying is the built-in generic MacOS Finder burning software worked fine, did not need Toast or Disk Utility.
Used a DVD-R at 4x speed.
Old 16th March 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Hello H-M3, I use Macs too and I just right-clicked the .iso in Finder and chose Burn To Disk (or words to that effect).
What I am saying is the built-in generic MacOS Finder burning software worked fine, did not need Toast or Disk Utility.
Used a DVD-R at 4x speed.
Same.

H-M3, what issue do you have, does the DVD reader not recognise the DVD?

If you want, PM me your address and I'll burn and send you a DVD that works in mine...

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.