A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 15th February 2019, 04:17 PM

If it has boiled that is indicative of a dodgy alternator regulator. Have you checked the voltage when its running? It should be 14.4 max at the alternator output. Usually that's about 13.8-14.0 by the time it gets to the battery.

I'd expect the battery monitor on the D3 would log a fault for this though so it may simply be physical damage.
Old 15th February 2019, 04:17 PM

Yes to the hole and the black pipe was connected. It doesn’t looked like it has split or cracked anywhere so perhaps as you say, it boiled up!

What I can’t figure out is whether a crazy battery would cause all the electrical glitching? Anyway, at the very least I have to get a new battery so here’s hoping!!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 15th February 2019, 04:19 PM

Sorry MJ we were typing at the same time! I can’t check the voltage so wouldn’t know. I imagine that would be resolved via a new alternator?

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 15th February 2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
If it has boiled that is indicative of a dodgy alternator regulator. Have you checked the voltage when its running? It should be 14.4 max at the alternator output. Usually that's about 13.8-14.0 by the time it gets to the battery.

I'd expect the battery monitor on the D3 would log a fault for this though so it may simply be physical damage.
I just googled the symptoms of a poor alternator regulator and I think that's me! Dimming flickering internal lights, inoperative dash gauges/readings, etc etc

I bet the front of the car has to come off to replace!

Old 15th February 2019, 05:34 PM

Most of the control module (ecu etc) will report battery voltage. However, if the lights are flickering its likely there are fluctuations in voltage which the modules won't show. You'd need an oscilloscope to see that.

I think its all generally pointing to the alternator though. I would expect at the very least you'll need the front end in service position to release the drive belt.
Old 16th February 2019, 01:37 PM

Just had a quote of £880 from Audi to change the alternator regulator. Damn it.

Old 16th February 2019, 01:56 PM

Ouch £100 part and most of the day to change it then.
Old 16th February 2019, 02:06 PM

I am sure indie can do it?

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 18th March 2019, 09:43 AM

An update

So I had the regulator changed in the alternator, I was prepared to replace the entire thing but on the advice of the Indie I just changed the regulator.
Anyway I am a week in and all is good, all gremlins have gone! £450 all in. In fact little electrical niggles that had been annoying me for years have gone so it must have been failing for ages!
Regular headlight bulb failures (but weren’t).
Display inbetween speedo and rev counter taking ages to ‘load’.
Boot lid sometimes not lifting.
Keyless entry/exit issues.

All gone.

I must have the highest mileage D3 S8 on the planet (185k) so good to see she lives to fight another day! I know she has nil value but they don’t put NA V10s in saloon cars anymore so I hope to keep her, I bet i’ll get to 200k by years end.

Old 18th March 2019, 01:01 PM

That sounds positive Hopefully she will behave herself now