A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 17th May 2014, 12:25 PM

Default Which tyres wear faster?

I'm about to fit my summer tyres with refurbed wheels. 2 are new, and 2 a couple of mm below new.
I'd assume fronts will wear faster on the quattro. Especially with my heavy 4.2 lump there. On my rwd car I'd obviously put the better tyres on the back. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 12:36 PM

Personally I've never noticed much difference, other than the fronts wear more on the shoulders due to steering.
Like many here I guess, I swap front to rear occasionally to even up wear.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th May 2014, 12:45 PM

Im waiting on 4 new p-zero's, is there an average of how many miles they should last ?

Will be interesting to watch how the last, will need to keep the date they are fitted marked down so I can look back
Old 17th May 2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Personally I've never noticed much difference, other than the fronts wear more on the shoulders due to steering.
Like many here I guess, I swap front to rear occasionally to even up wear.
I would agree with this, with one word of caution:

You shouldn't really have tyres on the rear with much less tread than the front, otherwise you might find yourself inadvertently swapping direction under heavy braking - this can happen if the fronts are gripping and the rears lose grip. Brown pants time :O
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Last edited by sarg; 17th May 2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Spelling :)
Old 18th May 2014, 09:30 AM

Right then I'll stick the new ones on the rear later today I think.
Old 19th May 2014, 08:46 AM

I always put new ones on the rear and old ones are the front.
My fronts need replacing soon, so when I do them I'll put the back to the front and put the new tyres on the back.

Does anyone the power split on the quattro system?
40% front and 60% rear or something?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 19th May 2014, 08:58 AM

I had 2 new tyres recently, put on when I changed from winter to summer shoes. After a very long debate with the tyre fitter they ended up on the front.

The old ones now on the back are hardly worn anyway and only a year or so old; I suspect they were put on by a recent previous owner to keep them legal as the ones I took off were pretty old and in poor condition.

I don't recall the discussion, but I think it was along the lines of getting all 4 equalised on wear and changing the full set next time.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th May 2014, 11:24 AM

There are always exceptions to any rule but generally new tyres replaced in pairs should go on the back. From a work perspective the reasons are mainly:

If you get a tyre failure it's more likely to be on an aged tyre so if that's on the front you will get under steer rather than oversteer in the event of a blowout, so less likely to be catastrophic in terms of accident risk ( doesn't help if you get a nail in a rear tyre obviously!)

Rear tyres generally do less work so a brand new tyre can bed in gently which will increase its total lifespan

Tyres moved off the rear will probably have more tread but also be older - moving them to the front then allows them to be worked harder on steering duties and with greater load on them. You can usually feel the difference when rotating tyres as the sidewall will feel firmer initially

Quattro does mean you're ideally looking at rotating tyres (ideally diagonally) once and then replacing all 4 - I've done my last set in pairs as 1 pair were worn out on the shoulders and the others still had 4mm+ so I ran them for 7 months ( only about 2k miles) and have now rotated the ones I fitted in September to the front. Tread depth should be fine assuming you're running matched pairs of tyres or if there's no appreciable difference in rolling radius (you'd be surprised how different it can be on nominally same size tyres!) - the owners handbook says the difference between rolling radius on used vs new tyres will not damage the drivetrain

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th May 2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
There are always exceptions to any rule
That's why we had a long debate, having checked the manufacturing dates as well as condition and wear.
All 4 are the exact same brand and design now which I think is good, and the spare is very similar and just a little bit older.
Old 19th May 2014, 12:35 PM

there is another rule to be obeyed here, my rear tyres are wider than my fronts so rotating front to rear results in some strange handling characteristics
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011