A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 15th November 2013, 10:07 AM
Banned

Default Air suspension lowering and highering.....

Ok so if you can use vag com to recalibrate the dynamic ride hight and sit it 20mm lower..my question is can the reverse be applied for lift mode ..? Ie
dynamic nice and low.
comfort standard
lift..a very high lift maybe 25mm more than standard.. as in extra clearance for bad winter snow ect ..
Old 15th November 2013, 11:39 AM

NO!!!!

Whatever you apply will affect all the settings, for example if you lower the ride by 20mm then you automatically lower dynamic, comfort and lift at the same time by 20mm.

You don't have to lower both axles by 20mm, I for example lowered front axle by 15mm and rear 10mm make the wheal arch gap look equally on both axles coz front has a bit more clearance than the rear axle.

If you need more advice on that I;ll be happy to help, I've done it on few A8s by now.
One thing I've noticed is you've got to make sure you have no issues with your suspension sensors or even steering angle sensor coz if one of them is faulty then it's difficult to accept new settings, real pain

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 15th November 2013, 11:47 AM

But....if you've got VCDS, then it doesn't take that long and is pretty straight forward as long you follow basic steps and in correct order, so if you need more clearance during the winter then you just change the settings on each axle to suite the weather/terrain.
Thats why I always got a laptop (battery out) with my VCDS with me, in case of any problems you can save your self A LOT of money and time on the roadside and if you are going offroading then you can make the changes just before entering the grounds (very unlikely any A8 owner do that).

But, lets say you stuck somewhere, it may take you out of the trouble as well by lifting car higher then lift setting (you still need to do calibration after entering new coding and you have to do it on a almost perfectly flat ground and its very unlikely you will stuck on a perfectly flat ground, so suspension might be a bit off, but you can re-do it after you get out of the 'trap'), again very unlikely but s**t happens

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:07 PM
Banned

Ok so I can lower it and also higher it too by 20mm ?

so if for example it sitts at 000 standard can I make it sit at +020 more than standard in lift mode ?
Old 15th November 2013, 12:27 PM

You know, you got me against the wall right now

I've never raised suspension on A8 so will have to check that on VCDS.

Original coding is xxx55xx
1st 5 is the front axle
2nd 5 is the rear axle

each jump by 1 digit is equal to 5mm

I will have to check if there is a limiter for going up, if for example 55 isn't the maximum setting for both axles.

I do apologies, I wrote all that info but I didn't think of actual limits when raising suspension, and as said no one never asked for higher ride

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 15th November 2013, 12:29 PM

...but I'm quiet positive it is doable to go higher...

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 15th November 2013, 02:11 PM
Banned

Interesting ...... hmmm
Old 17th November 2013, 10:59 AM

M-A8, do you fancy coding mine to sit lower? I don't mind a trip to South London, please PM me if youre fine with this.

I have the lowering links, but haven't fitted them, I might just sell them on.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 17th November 2013, 05:16 PM

They should accept them back even after 14days if they are decent guys.

Well, usually I charge £100 (that includes any further correction if for example you are not happy with ride height and you want to go another few mm up or down).
How far have you got to travel??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 17th November 2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
They should accept them back even after 14days if they are decent guys.

Well, usually I charge £100 (that includes any further correction if for example you are not happy with ride height and you want to go another few mm up or down).
How far have you got to travel??
Wow...much more than I thought.

I'll be driving from West London. PM me details of your location. I used to live in SE18, so the trip won't be too bad.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.