A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 5th November 2012, 02:37 PM

Default Pumps noise after switching off...

After doing a rear caliper and new headlight bulbs it now looks like the compressor could be shot

Got out of the car and heard the pump making a rough noise and never stopped. No error codes but couldn't get the noise to stop, cycled the ride height OK and the car moved up and down. Seems the problem is when it's trying to self level after parking up.

Had to drop into Audi immediately as I figured it would blow the relay, knacker the pump or kill my bettery if I did nothing...

Only other thing that coincides is driving through deep water yesterday in search of a decent pub lunch! Could be an expensive lunch...

Any ideas anyone, I know Audi will come back and say "new pump and a grand of your cash please!"

Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 02:48 PM

Can you claim on the insurance?
Old 5th November 2012, 03:20 PM

That's certainly something worth looking at! Hopefully I don't have to enter that particular battle, if it really is water related it might just be sensors which are easier (cheaper) to resolve! If it's the pump I wil have to work out how the water damaged it to justify the claim...
Old 19th November 2012, 04:00 PM

Ouch again, £1700 for a new pump and relay. I think it might have been my fault by hitting some (a lot of) deep water during a flood, shorted something out and made the pump run continuously till it burnt out. Gonna try the insurance route to see if it's covered. Now please can I have 12 months trouble free before it's time to sell?
Old 15th January 2014, 06:15 PM

I _think_ same happened to me yesterday, although it only lasted for a few seconds. Anyway it made me a bit worried so started to search online what might be causing it. Found some horror stories where faulty relay caused perfectly good compressor to blow... so decided to change my relay just for peace of mind found very good instructions and part number here: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2835590