A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 21st December 2016, 01:01 PM

Deffo. Hold me to at least 5 internet beers. I know what I'll be downloading later on.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 24th December 2016, 01:46 PM

Ok, Merry Chrimbo all.

Managed to get this done earlier today.

Fiddly job that requires large ish Allen hexbits, 5.5mm socket/spanner and/or I think it was a T15 torn bit. Oh and double jointed child's hands. Not having those I managed with a bendy torx driver, saved the day essentially.

The ELSA guide says to remove both wipers, I managed just removing the nearside.

This is in no way a guide, but hopefully the pictures will help anyone who needs to do this themselves.

I reckon my blower had got noisy from water ingress, as the drainage ducts I think have been squished when the pollen filter has been replaced incorrectly; it's quite fiddly to do right I guess.

Took a good while to find screws that were hidden in different locations to the earlier D3s. Hope this helps, I think the pics explain the process pretty much.

I started by marking with tape the position of the wipers:

Remove plastics:

and nearside wiper arm with this:

Remove bracing that has 13 bolts:

This is the bugger, and it has two MORE tiny screws behind it. Don't forget those

These are the ducts that I think have been neglected:

All the best. John

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 24th December 2016, 02:21 PM

Nice work John

In the Elsa guide there's a section about adding a seal to a joint to prevent water ingress.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 24th December 2016, 02:28 PM

Yeah. I read that Matt. I may add some where it said, I'm not entirely convinced by the recommendation, but I ran out of time, and it can be done quite easily I believe in situ.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 24th December 2016, 08:12 PM

Thanks John, useful write up
You didn't say what the result was - did you replace the blower motor or do something to lubricate it or what? If you replaced it what was the cost?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 24th December 2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Thanks John, useful write up
You didn't say what the result was - did you replace the blower motor or do something to lubricate it or what? If you replaced it what was the cost?
Sorry. Yeah, I replaced it with a used blower. £70 from eBay. The old one functioned well bar the noise, it may have needed oil or new bushes, I don't know. Just wanted the awful sound gone to be honest. I may try and sort the old blower motor out, and keep it as a spare. Don't really have the time to muck about these days!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 24th December 2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Sorry. Yeah, I replaced it with a used blower. £70 from eBay. The old one functioned well bar the noise, it may have needed oil or new bushes, I don't know. Just wanted the awful sound gone to be honest. I may try and sort the old blower motor out, and keep it as a spare. Don't really have the time to muck about these days!
I have the same issue on a D3 so was interested in wether it was cured or fixed by replacing - thanks that's helpful

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 24th December 2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I have the same issue on a D3 so was interested in wether it was cured or fixed by replacing - thanks that's helpful
Glad it helped. I was surprised at how many small screws needed removing. And you really do need some bendy tools and dollops of patience. Even by Audi's standards. Something to bear in mind if you do attempt yours. What concerned me was the noise of the old one, it didn't sound that bad. I guess the '8 is so quiet that any noise is a big deal. The replacement in the engine bay didn't sound that different, but inside the car was almost silent.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 24th December 2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
Glad it helped. I was surprised at how many small screws needed removing. And you really do need some bendy tools and dollops of patience. Even by Audi's standards. Something to bear in mind if you do attempt yours. What concerned me was the noise of the old one, it didn't sound that bad. I guess the '8 is so quiet that any noise is a big deal. The replacement in the engine bay didn't sound that different, but inside the car was almost silent.
Thanks yes it seems variable in noise but is never more than a small squeaking noise, sometimes it is almost seeming to be assisted by the wind when the blower is on slow but there is more wind outside. If I turn up the fan speed it always goes, but it doesn't stop it getting on my nerves lol

Old 24th December 2016, 09:01 PM

Mine was like a metallic cricket, then frog and only when cold. Then it began to scrape and groan. Really started to do my nut in by the time I changed it it sounded like aluminium ladders coming loose on a roof rack. Was worse when I slowed on slip roads. Was comically bad!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56