A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 26th June 2017, 10:19 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Rough calculations at this point show that I will be using £27 per month in electricity and getting back about £19. Decent graphics card should improves this but I have to run numbers first.

MikkiJayne how do you get business rate for electricity, is it as simple as registering company and then doing energy contract?
How are you calculating your electricity usage and which card is that?

Certainly some cards are far more efficient at mining than others. If you're building a rig specifically for mining or it's a PC that wouldn't normally be on 24/7 you do need to take the rig 'overheads' (CPU, drives, etc) into account when calculating the running costs. If you can't make use of the heat generated or you want to get electricity usage down to a minimum, building a larger multi-card rig might make more sense. The rig overheads will be greater when mining with just a few cards.

Also, depending on which card you use, you can usually make some adjustments to improve efficiency. For example, with the AMD cards you use the supplied AMD utility 'Wattman' to reduce the GPU frequency by about 15-20%. This has no significant impact on mining performance yet reduces power consumption from about 160W to 100W per card. For comparison, I have a 2 card AMD rig (RX 480) that consumes about the same as yours (~£27 per month) but makes about £100-£150 per month.

Quote:
So far I have set up bitcoin wallet now and Nice Hash mining but my Kaspersky Internet Security has gone viral. after pressing allow like 200 times it pops up again like every minute.
It only uses 5% of my old CPU na d about 50% of 8GB of RAM.
Kaspersky is probably just triggering when NiceHash switches algorithms or makes new network connections. While it's best to experiment initially on an existing system, you'll have better results running the cards on a dedicated system without such aggressive antivirus/firewall software.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 26th June 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 26th June 2017, 10:25 PM

I've moved this thread to "IT AV and other Tech" as it sits better here

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th June 2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
How are you calculating your electricity usage and which card is that?

Certainly some cards are far more efficient at mining than others. If you're building a rig specifically for mining or it's a PC that wouldn't normally be on 24/7 you do need to take the rig 'overheads' (CPU, drives, etc) into account when calculating the running costs. If you can't make use of the heat generated or you want to get electricity usage down to a minimum, building a larger multi-card rig might make more sense. The rig overheads will be greater when mining with just a few cards.

Also, depending on which card you use, you can usually make some adjustments to improve efficiency. For example, with the AMD cards you use the supplied AMD utility 'Wattman' to reduce the GPU frequency by about 15-20%. This has no significant impact on mining performance yet reduces power consumption from about 160W to 100W per card. For comparison, I have a 2 card AMD rig (RX 480) that consumes about the same as yours (~£27 per month) but makes about £100-£150 per month.

I am calculating 7 hours at night rate and 17 hours of day rate per day of my current price.

Kaspersky is probably just triggering when NiceHash switches algorithms or makes new network connections. While it's best to experiment initially on an existing system, you'll have better results running the cards on a dedicated system without such aggressive antivirus/firewall software.
It's jut my old PC that I don't use anymore with GTX 760 and the CPU is is overclocked and overvolted so definitely some power savings to be had and more modern GPU would make it more cost effective as well.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 26th June 2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 26th June 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
MikkiJayne how do you get business rate for electricity, is it as simple as registering company and then doing energy contract?
The landlord has the main electricity contract for the site and I pay him for what I use. It works out at roughly half what I pay at home.

Just setting up one of the laptops now. Core i7 with a GTX280 so we'll see what that can do to get going and then have a play with the 960
Old 27th June 2017, 01:19 AM

Well that was a waste of time. Nethash Miner won't detect CPU or GPU on my i7 laptop
Old 27th June 2017, 09:52 AM

Laptops are generally no good for mining. Even if they have supported hardware, they're not designed to be run at full power for extended periods. Cooling is very limited and frequently running BGA (ball grid array) type CPUs/GPUs hot can lead to faults caused by solder fatigue.

It's best to stick to using full size systems and one of the graphics cards listed here: https://new.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 27th June 2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Laptops are generally no good for mining. Even if they have supported hardware, they're not designed to be run at full power for extended periods. Cooling is very limited and frequently running BGA (ball grid array) type CPUs/GPUs hot can lead to faults caused by solder fatigue.

It's best to stick to using full size systems and one of the graphics cards listed here: https://new.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator
Your not wrong there, my Macbook is living proof of that, I had to send it away to have the gpu chip replaced for that very reason.

Following this thread with interest.

Is it possible to build a rig into a proper pc case or is it usually Frankenstein'd? I have a silverstone TJ-07 case thats never been used sitting in the loft.

Also surprised to see they don't use liquid cooling for quietness and maybe heat recovery to be used for the house?

Last edited by Delboy; 27th June 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 27th June 2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Is it possible to build a rig into a proper pc case or is it usually Frankenstein'd? I have a silverstone TJ-07 case thats never been used sitting in the loft.
Certainly, though you'll be limited by the number of cards you can physically fit in there of course. You'll be lucky to find a case that'll take more than a couple of full size graphics cards, though you may be able to squeeze an extra one into a couple of 5.25" bays if you can find a way to mount it. Also depending on the PSU the PC originally came with, you may need to upgrade that to cope with the extra wattage.

Cars Owned:

Old 27th June 2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Also surprised to see they don't use liquid cooling for quietness and maybe heat recovery to be used for the house?
Some people have used liquid cooling, but often it's just an unnecessary expense.

The fans in the GPU rigs aren't particularly loud and you can use the heat to heat your house/office. I used my Antminer S9 (which is loud!) to heat my workshop for the latter part of last winter. I usually use an electric heater but with the Antminer pumping out 1.3kW of heat continuously I didn't need any extra heating. So it didn't save be anything on my heating bills but it effectively cost me nothing to run either. Over a 3 month period it probably made me about £1000. I've since moved it to my customer's server room (where it has all the free electricity it can eat). This is the customer I'm helping to build a mining farm for, so I get to use their electricity for free as part of the deal

Cars Owned:

Old 27th June 2017, 11:47 AM

Anyone looked into dumping a PV install on their garage roof and running one off that or would the power setup not work/be reliable enough? Just thinking aloud here... what sort of bandwidth drain does this have on your internet connection as well?