A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 1st March 2020, 08:33 AM

A pump in a jerrycan would work to move it, were it not for all the fittings in the fuel system. There's no point where you can easily attach a loose hose - it's a banjo in the back, a screw fitting at the front, banjos on both sides of the fuel filter.

Best way to move it I reckon is get some beers in to encourage a bunch of friends to push it for you

I'm sure we have a how-to for the fuel pump on here somewhere. Have a container in the boot with you to put the pump assembly in as soon as it comes out of the tank as it contains a couple of litres of fuel which will spill everywhere.

The original pump is a VDO unit part number 405052002001Z. Make sure the one you gett has two stubs on the bottom like this:

There are many listings for pumps which are almost the same but missing that second little stub which is what drives the balance assembly for the two sides of the tank.
Old 1st March 2020, 10:13 AM

Thanks MikkiJayne.

That is the pump that I have in my cart on the FCPEuro website. VDO. Cheapest that I could find it listed for is USD $145.49, and I have bought from them before.

Good chance to buy a couple of oil fiters, air filters and perhaps the rubber seal for the fuel pump VAG-1J0919133A . <-- Is that worth getting? I already have a fuel filter kicking around I think. Bought a spare for my C4 A6 but I think it might fit the S8. Have to check the part number. Bosch iirc.

If I push the car, am I right in thinking that I won't be able to steer it very well and that the brakes won't work? It is a slight downward journey to the driveway then a sharp right and then a bit of an uphill push to the carport. How many 'friends' do you reckon it will take? Thanks for the suggestion by the way.
Old 1st March 2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post
If I push the car, am I right in thinking that I won't be able to steer it very well and that the brakes won't work? It is a slight downward journey to the driveway then a sharp right and then a bit of an uphill push to the carport. How many 'friends' do you reckon it will take? Thanks for the suggestion by the way.
Not sure about access around your carport, but it might be safer to tow it with a solid bar, as trying to stop a two ton car going downhill that has no brakes or steering may lose you a friend or two.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 1st March 2020, 02:49 PM

Brakes will work to hold / stop it in this kind of scenario. They'll just need more force on the pedal than normal. Ditto steering - it will be very heavy, but you can heave some lock on before pushing.

If its going up a slope then I would say at least four mates to push, and one to throw a brick under a wheel if they run out of steam! The other option is a ratchet strap tied to something solid to winch it up the driveway.

Get the tinnies in
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4R 100N View Post
...perhaps the rubber seal for the fuel pump VAG-1J0919133A . <-- Is that worth getting?
The fuel pump was replaced when mine went bang last year but the seals were not. End result was as soon as I filled the tank up, a fair amount of fuel was dripping out from underneath the car. Looking in the boot under the access hatch, you could see petrol on top of the 'fuel delivery unit', along with the usual heady smell of Super Unleaded. Booked in at the garage and a new seal kit was fitted. The seal kit wasn't cheap.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
The fuel pump was replaced when mine went bang last year but the seals were not. End result was as soon as I filled the tank up, a fair amount of fuel was dripping out from underneath the car. Looking in the boot under the access hatch, you could see petrol on top of the 'fuel delivery unit', along with the usual heady smell of Super Unleaded. Booked in at the garage and a new seal kit was fitted. The seal kit wasn't cheap.
I have seen that gasket set. I am extremely reluctant to buy it at $200.00 US That is $50 USD more than the pump!

I have ordered the pump, filter and the large gasket that I linked to earlier. I am going to cross my fingers that I can get the other o-rings locally and that the weird hexagon shaped gasket is in good shape...anyone else want to chime in with their experience with this gasket kit? 0_O
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Not sure about access around your carport, but it might be safer to tow it with a solid bar, as trying to stop a two ton car going downhill that has no brakes or steering may lose you a friend or two.
Sadly, I can't tow it.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Brakes will work to hold / stop it in this kind of scenario. They'll just need more force on the pedal than normal. Ditto steering - it will be very heavy, but you can heave some lock on before pushing.

If its going up a slope then I would say at least four mates to push, and one to throw a brick under a wheel if they run out of steam! The other option is a ratchet strap tied to something solid to winch it up the driveway.

Get the tinnies in
Thanks! Will do that!

I took my A6 Avant for a dry run into the drive tonight from a standing start parked next to the S8. It made it into the drive and most of the way up the drive under it's own inertia! I am going to have another go tomorrow with the A6 not started but ignition on and see if I can achieve similar results. I wonder if the S8 will perform similarly. I am a bit worried because of the reduced clearance under the car.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:34 AM

The gasket set for the pump seems to be very dependent on your local fuel quality. The Americans consider the tank seal essential, and seem to have lots of problems with the seals in the pump failing, but they have been absolutely fine in every UK car I've worked on. I've not had to replace the main tank seal either. It may be to do with the amount of ethanol in the fuel? I believe America has had ethanol in standard fuel for longer than we have.

One thing to mention - make sure you get two new banjo washers for the outlet on the pump (N0138128, 12x15.5x1.5) as they don't like being re-used and don't come with the pump. Ditto the filter - 2x N0138149 14x18x1.5 and 2 more N0138128.
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The gasket set for the pump seems to be very dependent on your local fuel quality. The Americans consider the tank seal essential, and seem to have lots of problems with the seals in the pump failing, but they have been absolutely fine in every UK car I've worked on. I've not had to replace the main tank seal either. It may be to do with the amount of ethanol in the fuel? I believe America has had ethanol in standard fuel for longer than we have.

One thing to mention - make sure you get two new banjo washers for the outlet on the pump (N0138128, 12x15.5x1.5) as they don't like being re-used and don't come with the pump. Ditto the filter - 2x N0138149 14x18x1.5 and 2 more N0138128.

Oh thank you very much indeed for that information. I am *guessing* that the previous owner only used RON 98 fuel (as have I) as he is so filthy rich, and would ONLY replace parts with genuine Audi ones. I might ask him though.

I hope that I already have a supply of the crush washers and will check against the ones that I take out, but thank you very much for posting their specifications! I take it that you have supplied dimensions in millimeters which I will compare to my stock. Thanks MikkiJayne!