A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 15th November 2019, 06:53 PM

Default Keyless...

Apologies it's a little long...Originally when I got the car the driver's door handle wasn't working for keyless entry or locking so I managed to get another in my colour (LZ9Y) and replaced the faulty one. The car has been laid up for near a year and I've only recently started driving it again but with the new handle all was good and I would only have to go near the door and it would unlock. Then this stopped working and I would have to pull the handle once and then it would unlock. Now no matter what I do the driver's door will not unlock with the keyless system although the button on the handle does still lock the car OK. When I tested, NS front and rear open keyless just by touching the handle, rear OS will not open if I touch the handle but will open if I pull the handle once, front OS will not open unless I use the remote. After starting the car yesterday and setting off I got a key icon warning on the dash and as the engine didn't cut out, I kept travelling and took the key out of my jacket pocket and put it on the centre console - the warning icon disappeared.
I did a scan last might and got faults in 13/36 modules and more than one in a few!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. Labels: 4E0-910-131.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 131 HW: 4E0 907 181 A
Component: FBS AUDID3 H12 0200
Revision: 02005112 Serial number: AUX3Z0H1342405
Coding: 0412672
Shop #: WSC 02311 785 00200
VCID: 58E98B751E15DC87D17-800C

Subsystem 1 - Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
Component: ELV XXXX

1 Fault Found:
00190 - Driver's Door Handle Touch Sensor (G415)
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 14
Reset counter: 64
Mileage: 210800 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.11.08
Time: 20:03:56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm replacing the driver door window this weekend as the outer pane has a crack, so while I have the door apart, what night I be looking for as regards my malfunctioning door handle or are there any tests I could do on it?
Old 16th November 2019, 08:16 AM

Check the wiring to the door handle, not far from the handle itself, I'm sure someone had frayed wires/ damaged insulation, Possibly Ray (tc4332 if you don't mind me saying so). There is a thread with a photo somewhere.
Old 16th November 2019, 08:47 AM

These comfort access door handles are great when they all work as intended but are a major weakness in the d3.

I have replaced all of mine during my ownership and its something I would recommend you do as faulty units have a tendency to keep the car awake when it should be sleeping.

I have had to replace the car battery twice because the door handles had the battery discharged to the point where it no longer performed well.

Since getting on top of the door handles I can now leave the car for many weeks at a time without any problems with the battery being flat.

8 weeks has been the longest so far without use and it fired up straight away with the battery at 100% on mmi and no faults in battery management module

Old 16th November 2019, 09:08 AM

Delboy is correct, the chance you bought a new faulty one is high, the newest D3s are 10 years old and these handles are not a very reliable at all so on the balance of probability the new ones have one of the several faults they are prone to.
Can you test your old one or did you bin it?
If not you can probably swap with the passenger one permanently or for testing.
Old 16th November 2019, 11:24 AM

My Driver's handle has not locked since I had it, button is hard so most likely broken microswitch. It opens as it should however I'm sure it drains the battery as after a few days of non use, the keyless doesn't work due to battery being low. It's on the list, will probably go for a new one in time.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 16th November 2019, 03:20 PM

Replaced all my handles too, and then the battery (trashed by the handles keeping the car awake). All good now, zero issues.
Old 16th November 2019, 06:09 PM

What is the approximate cost of replacing all the handles please. Did you diy or pay labour.
Old 16th November 2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoe View Post
What is the approximate cost of replacing all the handles please. Did you diy or pay labour.
This will tell you what is involved

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13793
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 17th November 2019, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the link.
Two switches, drivers and nearside rear work on mine, however no hand sensors work, well the drivers works once In a blue moon, usually on a very cold day. Marvellous when it works, I love it.
Old 17th November 2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Check the wiring to the door handle, not far from the handle itself, I'm sure someone had frayed wires/ damaged insulation, Possibly Ray (tc4332 if you don't mind me saying so). There is a thread with a photo somewhere.

Sorry Snap, not guilty this time.
My D3 was not keyless.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)