A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 4th August 2017, 03:32 PM

Default Trim across base of windscreen (includes washer jets) poorly fitted.

I just noticed that this trim, which goes across the whole base of the windscreen, is a very poor fit.
Specifically the centre section and extending somewhat to the drivers side past the central (for nearside) wiper pivot is clear of the glass by up to 1cm. It cannot be pushed down, it's obstructed below in some way.

It only seems to be fixed by 3 hex head bolts, one at each end and one in the centre. And the wiper arms obviously block removal as well.
The end bolts look OK (and have non-circular washers) but the centre one has some rubber debris on top, is rusty, and has a rusty disc washer under the head.
I have before suspected that the windscreen was replaced in the past, so maybe this wasn't refitted properly?

Can someone post a photo, or at least describe, what this central fixing should be - and confirm there are just 3 in total?

This big gaps also means that debris washed down on the windscreen isn't trapped by the mesh in this trim, probably adding to my scuttle drain woes.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th August 2017, 03:48 PM

Don't have pictures with me, but scuttle panel is easy to remove, which you will have to do anyway.

you'll need to remove arms, and this can be done by removing wiper and then firmly grabbing arm in vertical position and pushing it up and down, so that splines on tapers disengage. There's a metal to aluminium contact there and you will find some resistance, but don't worry -- you will remove it. Then use copper grease when you put them back. Good opportunity to replace them. They are still available from Audi.

Then remove scuttle panel and investigate. Two bolts from each side and I think another one in the centre under the plastic cover if I remember correctly.

There are two C-shape holders that attach scuttle trim to aluminium lugs of the body. If they've snapped off, they can be transplanted from donor scuttle panel that you can get from A8 Parts or perhaps order it brand new. Use small screws and pre-drill plastic for the screws when you transplant C-shape holders.

In the interim you can drive without scuttle panel. Nothing wrong will happen.

Hope it helps.
Old 4th August 2017, 04:38 PM

Removed mine recently to replace wiper drive. IIRC the centre one requires a bit of fiddling otherwise it doesnt engage properly (it might be a tongue or something but memory fails me here!) - just as your seems to be.
Old 4th August 2017, 04:56 PM

Thanks folks.
Do the wiper arms have nuts to hold them on or are they just a push fit on the splines?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th August 2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Thanks folks.
Do the wiper arms have nuts to hold them on or are they just a push fit on the splines?
Nuts to you. As Sergei says, you need to hold the wiper arm down so its parallel to the screen otherwise it springs up when the nut is removed and can damage ther bonnet edge. (It is easier to remove them with the bonnet shut)
Old 4th August 2017, 05:12 PM

Thanks again; I'll do this when I go delving into the air intake to test the fan/controller etc. and fit a new sponge seal around the edge.
Having the air intake cover off may also help refitting the trim panel. Certainly sounds (and feels) like there's something that needs to engage that was missed previously.
(And I'm used to the precautions you need when removing sprung wiper arms, I usually have some protective cloths around as well. )

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th August 2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 27th September 2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
There are two C-shape holders that attach scuttle trim to aluminium lugs of the body.
Yes, I've got those on both my original and replacement panels.
They clip onto these lugs, one of mine was bent down (sorted now) so not connected and the other wasn't engaged properly either:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrimClip.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	17097