A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 20th March 2017, 09:52 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Mackies was less than £4k (about £3k, including VAT, from memory) when I had mine rebuilt - and uprated - by them a few years ago.
Yup. Superb job they do too. Mine has been smooth as silk and faultless since the rebuild last October.

Cost me about 3.5K, inc VAT, but I also had them replace the F125 and check/change the rear diff oil.

Here's the breakdown from my invoice:

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 20th March 2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
If you do decide to give it a go, for the gearbox mounts you could go over to Mike's and measure the factory castings, then just CNC aluminium mounts yourself, should be much cheaper than factory mounts.
Mike has factory 01E gearbox mounts??? He's not mentioned that before <gets out the digital calipers...>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran
We tried it in a shell of a D2 at the A8 parts open day, the clutch pedal cleared all the footwell obstacles. Even the transmission bump does not need removing.
I didn't know you'd got that far with it. Maybe I'll stop trying to design my own then

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Cost me about 3.5K, inc VAT, but I also had them replace the F125 and check/change the rear diff oil.
£2100 for the basic rebuild is pretty good actually. If you can remove the box yourself and drop it off with them its definitely going to be cheaper than a manual conversion.
Old 20th March 2017, 06:54 PM

Not to Hijack your thread in any way

With the DQT Diesel gearbox that already matches the rear diff, the S4 B5 flywheel and Clutch should make it "Bolt on" But what about the distance plate the B5 uses? Will this be needed?
And if i have understood it correct after hours of googeling, the URS4/6 Front drive shafts bolts right on, along with a Lenghtened URS4/S6 shifter/linkage?

1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 20th March 2017, 08:14 PM

thanks everyone its all food for thought, I'm lucky really as i don't need my car as transport its only 6 miles to work and i do like going on my bike the weather is getting better (ok it will soon won't it?)
I,d be interested in going to tps cos i get effectively a new box with little down time.
The recon route worries me as i can't see what I'm getting for my money and i have to take somebody else word (i have a friend who recons boxes and I've seen what he does, just fixes the problem with second hand parts and sprays them silver).
i could strip it down myself and this is a option I'm still looking into regarding a full rebuild kit.
i,m tempted by the manual conversion and i think it needs fresh sets of eyes looking into it. many forum members have worked very hard on the research for the conversion and spent a lot of money. maybe if i commit to the project I've got to finish it off or i,ll have a cold winter on the bike.
i need to get a shopping list together of all the parts and see what is still available, its no good me buying most of the essential items i,ll need them all.
At the moment (correct me if I'm wrong) I,d consider the following essential to get me started and any chance of completion.

a flywheel TTV or Fidanza aftermarket £366
clutch kit ,cover, plate, release bearing & arm, slave cylinder s4 £350 from eco less discount .
gearbox, with original mounts but these can be made £400-800
driveshafts and prop as suggested by MikkiJayne £?
aftermarket clutch master and modified pedal box £?
gear lever £?
Am i way of the mark? cheers Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 20th March 2017, 08:25 PM

a8parts sell the distance plate about £45
but the TTV racing flywheel means you don't need it.

2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 20th March 2017, 08:40 PM

Useful to know about the TTV. Saw some pics of their lightweight S4 version on FB today. Its a pretty nice piece of work, although a 6Kg flywheel might not suit the character of an S8!

Don't forget the ECU - £600.

If you are intent on doing this then sort your clutch pedal first. After that everything else is gravy Tricky to source, yes, but at least it all exists!

Oh, don't forget there is no shifter surround for RHD manual either. Not exactly a big deal to adapt a shifter boot to fit the tiptronic surround, but it still needs doing

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 20th March 2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:02 PM

i have a friend who I'm confident can sort the ecu no problem, 25 years+ engine mapping, reprogramming ,swapping ecu,s to him that is just everyday stuff he prefers a challenge

2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 20th March 2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Mike has factory 01E gearbox mounts??? He's not mentioned that before <gets out the digital calipers...>
Yup I sold him the brand new ones ordered from Germany via Bexley Audi.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:46 PM

yes just been looking they are like hens teeth

2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 20th March 2017, 09:50 PM

The only other non-factory part for this conversion is the pipe that goes from master cylinder to hydraulic cylinder. I assume it can be easily made just by bending some steel? tubing to shape. Alternatively perhaps the factory pipe can be re-bent to fit?

Pedal box cost can be kept down By re-using the stock RHD pedal box casting and welding or bolting on a machined aluminium bracket to fit a stock Audi A4 metal master cylinder. I bought a brand new master cylinder for the mock up I believe it cost only around £100. If you decide to use a different master cylinder the mounting bracket will need to be re-designed.

Here is a pic of the mock up pedal box in the A8 footwell, and a couple of pics of the earlier wood clutch pedal tests with A4 master cylinder. Based on Autocad drawings to calculate same Master cylinder travel as the stock manual pedal box. Incidentally I still have a stock LHD manual pedal box, clutch pedal and master cylinder if anyone needs to borrow it to take measurements, check pedal/master cylinder travel etc.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pedal box in A8 shell.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	15854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Master cylinder bracket model1.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	15855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Master cylinder bracket model2.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	15856  

Last edited by Goran; 20th March 2017 at 10:02 PM.