A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 6th October 2014, 09:22 PM

Default Replacing the Suspension Controller unit

Folks - have replaced the compressor for the air suspension (brand new unit) and the bloody light still comes on after some time
Was told it's probably the control unit so have got one from A8 Parts.

So - has anyone replaced one of these and if so, how did you do it (I believe it's under the carpet on the passenger side - just below the glove box).

Plus once replaced, does it need coding?

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 7th October 2014, 06:37 AM

I got no idea where it is or how to replace it but have you scanned the system to check for codes?

If the unit needs replacing I thought it would be obvious with codes supporting it?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 7th October 2014, 08:30 AM

An Audi engineer replaced the compressor and when told the car still had the same issue he diagnosed it as the controller so for a small outlay I thought I'd get a replacement.

If no one can help then I will pass it back to him to fit.

Cheers anyway.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 7th October 2014, 08:40 AM

Try this.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_292.pdf

Page 10.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 7th October 2014, 10:34 AM

Cheers - already have that. Doesn't tell you how to remove it.
I removed the carpet and can see it, but it's tucked behind a lot of parts and looks difficult to get out.

Just wondering if there is any advice on who/what to do

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 7th October 2014, 01:36 PM

Are you sure its not simply the suspension relay which is a common failing part, unlike the controller. A failed relay can cause the compressor to run on and eventually burn out, even though the controller has attempted to shut it down. Would give the symptoms of a failed controller because the suspension is not doing what the controller asks.

If you ever replace the compressor, replace the relay at the same time otherwise the replacement compressor could die as well. With the D3 VCDS seems to be an ownership requirement, as it saves so much time and trial and error.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 7th October 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 7th October 2014, 07:01 PM

I have had this looked at by a member here using VCDS.
Also had Audi and 2 independents look at it using VCDS and all said the same.
So whether I owned the software or not I am treading the path I have been given (if you know what I mean).

I have the controller in my mits so if I can replace it and I still have the issue then the relay will be next (but hopefully it will fix it )

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 7th October 2014, 09:10 PM

I found this on Audiworld, sounds complicated.

Hi all,

I managed to get to the level control module today:
- Lifted the rear seat bench and pulled it forward a little, but didn't unplug all the wires.
- Lowered the rear seat backs witout uninstalling anything.
- Removed the side panel next to the seat back
- Removed the plastic plate/part that the seat belt runs through at the top of the seat back (old, cold plastic so one of the little tabs broke)
- Removed the bottom trim in the cargo area (incl. the hatch to the spare tire)
- Removed the crome trim along the tail gate in the cargo area
- Removed all screws in the side panel (2 individuals + 2x2 in the cargo fastening rings)
- Then came the uncomfortable part because the side trim still didn't budge and the Bentley manual says nothing about where how or how many additional fasteners there are. There are two of these metal-springs-fitting-in-metal-holes-in-the-body, and I had to yank pretty hard in the panel before they gave.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 8th October 2014, 06:15 AM

Thanks for that, but the controller is at the front in an A8 behind the glovebox.

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten