A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 4th October 2018, 05:29 PM

Default Engine/diesel/exhaust smell through HVAC

Anyone else had this, not all the time, and if I recirculate air, the smell goes.

Was wondering if it might be an exgmhaust leak near the pollen filter.... With the engine idling itís quite smelly under the bonnet, but I cannot see anything obvious.

CURRENT CAR: Quartz gray 2008 A8 3.0 TDi. My installs: (2009) AMI and ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A, generic RVC, Westfalia OEM towbar, D4 19s and S8 MFSW with paddles.

LAST CAR: Black 2001 A2 1.4 TDi, winter pack, leather/alcantara sports seats, DIS and BrokenSky
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

My EGR cooler shut off valve leaked smoke. It was sooty around thar area, I could see the haze at night with a green laser pen shining it under the bonnet.
It is a butterfly valve operated by vacuum and whatever the shaft ran it had gone, bearings or whaever leaving it loose in the holes so smoke could escape.

Last edited by snapdragon; Yesterday at 07:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
My EGR cooler shut off valve leaked smoke. It was sooty around thar area, I could see the haze at night with a green laser pen shining it under the bonnet.
It is a butterfly valve operated by vacuum and whatever the shaft ran it had gone, bearings or whaever leaving it loose in the holes so smoke could escape.
Iím thinking EGR, or PCV, hopefully not exhaust. Itís smokey under the bonnet and nearside wheel arch too. Fuel consumption seems to have suffered of late too. Got it booked in to local Indy on Monday, as I donít have the time at the minute to faff about.

Cheers Snap.

CURRENT CAR: Quartz gray 2008 A8 3.0 TDi. My installs: (2009) AMI and ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A, generic RVC, Westfalia OEM towbar, D4 19s and S8 MFSW with paddles.

LAST CAR: Black 2001 A2 1.4 TDi, winter pack, leather/alcantara sports seats, DIS and BrokenSky