A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 31st March 2014, 09:41 AM

I'm desperately hoping its not that.
I dread to think what the wife would say if this one needs gearbox work as well.
But since there is no fault codes for the gearbox I'm resolve the fault codes first and see what happens.

These two fault codes have come back again.
005658 - Glowplug for Cylinder 1 (Q10)
P161A - 001 - Open Circuit

001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 002 - Insufficient Flow
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:45 AM

I decided to drive in to work today and took the long way round.

First half of the trip it was the same.
Surging on coasting, hard shifting into 1st and 1st to 2nd.

Pulled over half way in to the trip and unplugged the MAF.
No idea why or what made me think about it but I did it and it seemed to work.

The 2nd half of the drive to work was smooth, no surging or hard gear changes.
I'll got the same way home with the MAF unplugged and see if it still better.

If it is still better. I guess I better get a new maf or clean this one lol
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:44 AM

Just replace MAF, even a cleaned one will fail eventually again since they are never the same as a new one.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 4th April 2014, 10:58 AM

Go with new.. you could end up breaking it while trying to clean it and possibly never get it quite right.

I know.. I know..

Old 4th April 2014, 11:06 AM

New it is!!

Off to eBay!!
Old 10th April 2014, 08:03 AM

I forgot to update this.

I went home from work with it unplugged and it error (never did this on the way in to work) and started off surging but it soon calmed down and went well.

I'm still siding with a maf...........I think.
Old 13th April 2014, 08:35 AM

You are ignoring a major error code. The EGR system. I suggest removal of the EGRs and have a damn good clean of them. Unfortunately your car has a DPF so you can't blank them off.

The MAF can still be at cause. These cars do 155k plus on mileage, but sensors do wear out.

My A8 is on 170k now and needs a new suspension ecu and parking brake ecu. Such is life on these cars!

Auto box fluid change is always a good thing to do problems or not.
Old 13th April 2014, 07:42 PM

The way EGR flow is measured/regulated is that the ECU signals the EGR to open and looks for a corresponding drop in air mass measured by the MAF (as the air is being substituted with exhaust smoke and this is not measured itself.)
I think as said MAF and EGR are hopefully the areas of attention.

Maybe something like ECU>more smoke EGR, MAF not changing...I SAID MORE SMOKE!, MAF not changing...MORE SMOKE!!!...and the sticking EGR swings open choking the engine and giving a big MAF reading swing...whoah LESS SMOKE!!! and so on and so forth..

Last edited by snapdragon; 13th April 2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 14th April 2014, 03:00 PM

I have been ignoring the MAF and EGR, I should really get on and get that sorted out.

My main focus is trying to get the A4 and 206 out of our lives while recouping some funds from them.
Hopefully I'll have some free time this week/end and I'll get some bits ordered up to do the EGR.
I'm still debating on gearbox or MAF first since they are both about the same price (I'm penny pinching at the moment, Its not good I know but such is life at the moment.).

Once the other two cars are gone and we sorted the house out I start plowing some money into the 8.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the answers, hopefully I get it sorted out.

Went to lands end saturday night and it faultless all the way.
Now in Brum and it was fine but the surging was there going through town.
Old 5th May 2014, 04:00 PM

Gearbox oil was changed on the friday and I thought I'd spend the day trying to clear the EGR fault.

Removed this pipe.

Its dirty but it don't think it looks to bad.

The two holes for where the EGR gases come from looks bad but the air still flows through.

The throttle don't looks to clogged up.

With that side looking semi ok, I thought I'll remove the EGR valve and check on that.
Removed the inlet pipes which looks ok. This all based on other pictures I've seen off other inlets that looked worse.

I then gave up at that point cause I broke this pipe.

Before I broke the pipe I could not see any way to remove the EGR pipe work or the valve to check it.
Anyone removed theses before?

I've been unable to get any tools into position to remove the bolts holding it together.
I might have to get some more Star and Torx bits to try again.