A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 8th December 2013, 03:44 PM

Default Auto dipping exterior mirrors

My newly acquired D3 has the auto dipping mirrors (external and internal). The external ones have done the apparently usual thing and have gone gold because the seals have gone.

I am not really interested in the dipping function, and am struggling to find an aftermarket non dipping alternative that don't simply stick over the old ones.

Both mirrors have gone, so looking to replace both, if someone could post a link to some that would give heated functionality at least. I don't require OEM, so ebay or simillar would work fine.

Car is 2004 pre facelift D3.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 8th December 2013, 04:32 PM

I saw an S class today with the same problem.
About 20 years ago, I had a non-dipping one on a BMW that smashed.
I bought the stick-on type and with a hot air gun was able to peel the backing plastic and heated elements off the old glass and stick them on the new glass. It was OK - not sure if modern glasses are the same construction. Worth trying on the old one if it's scrap anyway.
Old 8th December 2013, 04:37 PM

I've done a quiet search, but couldn't find any heated ones on ebay or ecp or gsf for pre facelift models.

I found brand new genuine ones heated with auto dim function but they are 200euro for a pair.

You can get some basic ones on ebay uk but it's just a mirror.

You could do some more research and also give GSF a call as they can get more parts than whats on the website and it would be interesting to see how much audi wants for a pair as well

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 8th December 2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I saw an S class today with the same problem.
About 20 years ago, I had a non-dipping one on a BMW that smashed.
I bought the stick-on type and with a hot air gun was able to peel the backing plastic and heated elements off the old glass and stick them on the new glass. It was OK - not sure if modern glasses are the same construction. Worth trying on the old one if it's scrap anyway.
This actually sounds like a good idea, you can't do much damage to be honest, will either work or not.
And this way you could save a lot of money because the basic mirror costs few quid only

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 9th December 2013, 08:01 AM

I guess you mean auto-dimming not dipping. Auto dipping one is on the passenger side so that it dips when you select reverse.

There are plenty non-dimming heated ones on e-bay with backing plate in variety of versions-clear, blue, flate, convex, wide angle etc. £10 will get you one with separate backing plate that you need to stick together(not on old mirror) and £25 gets you pre-assembled with backing plate. Examples of both below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A8-20...item43bc2fba26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Gla...item257bb9aa6b

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 9th December 2013, 08:18 AM

Ainar,

Sorry, yes I meant Auto dimming. I keep getting the terminology muddled up.

At least the prices seem reasonable, I don't think I'll bother with another auto dimming one (especially secondhand) as I have no idea how long it will last.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 9th December 2013, 12:45 PM

Annoyingly there are to be two different mirror shapes, but some are listing both as compatible when they are not.

The ones on mine have almost straight inside edges, rather than an angle halfway along the inside edge. I guess the difference between prefacelift and facelift, yet they all seem to list them as 03-08 rather than -03-05 and 05-08.
Old 9th December 2013, 01:25 PM

yes you ned to be careful to get the right one, I managed to get the mirror and the whole housing for an 08 model on ebay for £30 (mines an 05 so didnt fit), sold the mirror for a 100 still have the housing. bought the right one from a8parts. point is if you can wait and keep searching ebay you can pick them up cheap.
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom