A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 4th February 2024, 12:47 PM

Default Part number for O ring for front differential drain plug?

Hello everyone!

I'm doing both axle seals for the front differential. According to the directions on Audipages, there is an O ring on the differential drain plug, which I'd like to replace. I've searched the parts catalog and can't find the part number, so I wonder if anyone here can help with the part number or the specs for the o ring. Ideally, I'd like to purchase this before the job, so I have everything ready.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
BMW 850i - Red 6speed
BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
Ford Thunderbird x 3 Supercharged & 5speeds
Mustang convertible
Range Rover Autobiography - BRG/English Tan
Old 5th February 2024, 11:42 AM

Are you referring to part #22 in the attached image? If so, the part number is 01V409057, and it comes with an o-ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-05 125506.png
Views:	67
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	30133  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th February 2024, 02:05 PM

I think that may be the one. I pulled up the PN, and two sizes came up. Could anyone confirm which size is correct? I see M18x1.5 or M12x1.5.
BMW 850i - Red 6speed
BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
Mustang convertible
Old 6th February 2024, 02:17 PM

There is no size given for the D2 one, but the exact same part number used in the D3 has a size of M18x1.5. Also on the D3 parts list, it lists a separate seal ring, part number N0138321, size 18x22.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 11th February 2024, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
There is no size given for the D2 one, but the exact same part number used in the D3 has a size of M18x1.5. Also on the D3 parts list, it lists a separate seal ring, part number N0138321, size 18x22.
Thanks for the info, steamship. I found pictures of the N0138321 seal ring, and it seems to be a metal crush washer. While the diagram you posted and other pictures I've found show a flat-ish rubber O ring. I think I'm going to order the smaller M12 bolt/seal and report back.
BMW 850i - Red 6speed
BMW 850Csi - Red 6speed
Mustang convertible
Old 12th February 2024, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
I found pictures of the N0138321 seal ring, and it seems to be a metal crush washer. While the diagram you posted and other pictures I've found show a flat-ish rubber O ring. I think I'm going to order the smaller M12 bolt/seal and report back.
The attached image is from the official parts catalogue for both the D2 and D3, and it does 'appear' like its a flat-ish o-ring. However, considering where its used, the colour might be misleading. Why not order both, so long as you can return the unused one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-12 082357.png
Views:	61
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	30148