A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 4th December 2019, 10:59 AM

I got one of these now. First, I plugged it into the DAB radio in the media rack in the boot. The CD Changer then stated "Initialising Device" in the MMI and said this forever. It did not show CD Changer or Tracks either but would play and skip to next track.

I removed it and removed one of the two CD changers in the glovebox and plugged in the streaming device. It worked right away and the sound quality is excellent.

What I had with 2x CD changers was CD 1-6 & 7-12
I was hoping to keep both CD changers and have CD 1-6, 7-12 & 13-18. but this doen't seem possible.

I need to buy one of those cubby holes for the empty CD changer location in the glovebox.

It is early days to comment on pairing issues as I have only used the car twice, but I don't like the way it is permenently on, as unlike the original Audi units, it has no MOST wakeup/diagnostic connection on the electrical side.

You say yours doesn't resume playing when you return to the car, mine always resumes playing Apple Music which I never really use. Even if I was say playing Spotify it will start playing an Audiobook in Apple Music. It is very annoying I would rather it played nothing to be honest.
Old 4th December 2019, 10:38 PM

Interesting...I hadn't thought about installing it in the boot as I'd prefer to be able to connect USB, aux etc from inside the car. The instructions do state that the device must be the last device in the MOST ring. I'm wondering is this where I might be going wrong. Is the last device the Navigation DVD drive, before the gateway - being the first device?
What are the dangers of it being permanently on? Battery drain or keeping the car awake?
Old 5th December 2019, 05:44 AM

Yes I saw that but in a ring where is the end?
It says near the head unit but is this the amp or the MMI control head? Who knows. The CD players in the glovebox are first after the MMI control head.

The instructions are terrible. Even though the 12v is permanent, it doesn't connect with my phone until I turn on the ignition (which is good)

It starts playing my Apple Music though as soon as it connects which is also something the Audi A8 D4 did that I had for a week. I wish I could find a way to stop that. Most of all the sound quality is really good, it is worth it for that for me.

I might try it in the boot again now I have ditched one of the CD players, as I can't imagine using the USB stalk and if I do, it would be semi-permanent so behind the boot trim is no big deal TBH.
Old 10th December 2019, 10:34 PM

Yes, the sound is great. I've found that it will resume/autoplay Spotify when I next get in the car but does not do this with my bbc music radio app. If there's a USB in it then it will always default to that first. A few times after a phone call Bluetooth will resume playing but there'll be no sound so I've had to go back in and manually select BTA again for the sound to come back. Only on the drive home from work today, listening to music off the USB, I was delighting in the fact that I'm no longer tied to just the radio.