A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 27th January 2020, 05:25 PM

Default Dash Cam Installation

I've the glovebox out now more than a month after fitting a bluetooth media module. I had been thinking of buying one of those upgraded video capable head units off €bay but then changed my mind, but I do definitely want to fit a dashcam. After looking quite a bit I've not found any straightforward how-to on this. I have the camera, a 12v/5v converter, and a battery drainage protector so I can wire the cam in to be on all the time. It looks like a lot of work removing the A-pillar trim to route the cable down to the passenger side fuse panel, so I then had a look in the overhead light console but have not found an always on 12v line. Can anyone point me in the right direction or share what they did?
Old 27th January 2020, 06:05 PM

Check out the following thread:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8377

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 28th January 2020, 02:36 PM

Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread, although I'd already found that ign switched +ve but was looking for a permanent +ve up there, also curious as to what other options there might be or what others may have done for fitting the cam.
Old 28th January 2020, 03:03 PM

Hi Dangered, there is definately a permanent 12v up there on the roof console light.
Try back-probing all the connectors (apart from the microphones) for 12V.
Mine used to be wired to permanent 12v, inside there, it was just a tinned wire stuck into the gap beside a pin in one of the connector housings for + and another for - .with a small cable tie to adjascent wires to stop it jiggling out.
I used to suspect it ran down the battery after a few days so I have now made it switched 12v as per the other thread. The battery still runs down after a few days so it was not teh dashcam afterall.
Old 14th April 2020, 05:22 PM

I went for the switched 12v in the end, off that vacant 4 pin connector in your pic of the overhead light in one of the other threads. Installation really couldn't be much more minimal looking...