A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 25th July 2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
As I said in post #2 of this thread:

That should be easy to plug with a rubber well nut of a suitable size.
After lots of heavy rain I've been seeing a wet carpet in the passenger footwell and also a trickle of water running down the carpet over the wheel arch. I'm pretty sure it's Botang's hole. I like the idea of a rubber well nut for simplicity, does anyone know if an M6 would be big enough?
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 26th July 2017, 03:17 PM

I forgot to measure the size of the hole. Its definitely bigger than 6mm diameter, I put in an Aluminium M6 bolt and M6 nut and there was still room, its probably M8 size.
Old 26th July 2017, 03:41 PM

Thanks Goran. As they're quite cheap I'll probably buy a few different sizes and see. If the hole is about 10mm diameter I may need to go down to an M4 due to the thickness of the rubber on the nut.

Old 26th July 2017, 07:45 PM

I can confirm my water ingress was almost definitely that hole, the car has been through at least 7 days of heavy rain now and the carpet is nice and dry.
Old 26th July 2017, 09:22 PM

I just did this on the FE I have in at the moment and I used one of the big plastic rivets which are used on the arch liners, well covered in seam sealer.
Old 17th February 2018, 12:43 PM

I finally managed to get around to doing this. It was getting worse over the last few months and the wood cover over the relays is looking and feeling quite wet so may need to replace it if it doesn't dry out well enough.

Thanks to all the help from people on here I was able to locate the offending hole with only a little difficulty! I used an M8 rubber well nut and it fitted just right, slightly larger might fit too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_0929538.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	496.1 KB
ID:	17959

I then used a long allen key and could reach through to tighten it without needing to remove anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180217_0931060.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	17960

Old 18th February 2018, 09:35 PM

Two questions:
1. How did you get that first picture?
2. How did you find the hole and feed the well nut in?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th February 2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Two questions:
1. How did you get that first picture?
That was fairly easy, I just slid my phone in on top of the ECU box, it took a couple of attempts to get it right. I just had to be careful not to push it in too far! So the first picture is looking down from above.

Quote:
2. How did you find the hole and feed the well nut in?
This wasn't too easy but using the photos in this thread http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7645&page=2 I was able to work out the location from the two grommets and a seam in the body. A little light scraping with a long screwdriver soon found a hole. All I removed to gain access was the ECU box lid and undid the nut on the windscreen trim so I could lift it out of the way.

To get the well nut in was a little tricky as I didn't want to drop it but using some tissue paper to hold it onto the end of an allen key and some long nose pliers (I didn't have a long enough allen and had to buy longer ones to finish) I was able to drop it in place and used a long screwdriver to help push it in and off the allen key. It took patience and some care to work out the easiest way around the pipes without losing the nut. I also positioned my phone to shine the torch light so I could see better.

I didn't scrape a single knuckle either! Time will tell if it stops the water ingress or if the drains are also blocked, but it looked fairly clear of water in there.

Old 19th February 2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
I didn't scrape a single knuckle either! Time will tell if it stops the water ingress or if the drains are also blocked, but it looked fairly clear of water in there.
You must have done it wrong if you didn't even scrape a knuckle. If a job is worth doing right, it's worth bleeding for.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 19th February 2018, 10:25 AM

Excellent, those little details are what we need.

If I tackle it and find a better way I'll explain it here.

Well nuts are a handy device, especially with the electrolytic corrosion issues we have to beware of. I used them to secure my reversing camera.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!